Cupcakes Rose But Fell After Cooled. Why?

Decorating By Muse Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 10:09pm by prettycakelady

Muse Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 12:42pm
post #1 of 7

So I was making cupcakes last night. I took out the first batch and they were gorgeous, perfectly formed. So I set them out to cool. When I came back half an hour later they had totally deflated!! I thought maybe it was because they hadn't baked long enough so I let the next batch bake a little longer. They did the same thing. What is causing this? Is it an ingredient or does it have to do with baking and the oven? I used a DH french vanilla mix, 1/3 c. oil, 4 eggs, 3/4 c. sour cream, 1 packet french vanilla pudding mix, 1 1/3 c. milk/half and half, 1/2 tsp. butter flavoring, 1/2 tsp. Wedding Bouquet. Maybe the mix was too heavy?

Any help would be great.

6 replies
foxymomma521 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 7

That has been a common complaint with DH mix lately. Try another brand next time icon_smile.gif

smoore Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:06pm
post #3 of 7

I believe if you beat the batter too long it will cause the cake to fall. Did you overbeat?

foxymomma521 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 7

Looking at your recipe I would reduce the amt of milk to 1 cup at the most. I use a recipe similar to yours, but I only add 1 cup liquid TOTAL between the water and oil...

JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 7

Sometimes that happens when they cool too quickly. Even in the summer when I'm done baking I turn the oven off and sit what ever cake or cupcake I just baked on the oven door to cool. That way it's not such a shock for the little buggers...LOL!!

I don't know about the problems with the mixes. I use mixes but I follow the direction on the back when it comes to the mixing times and yep, I time it. I also throw in a box of pudding and no extra eggs. Just the pudding everytime and I've never had this problem.

I hope you can figure it out. It's awfully frustrating when you think you've finally got it and then things go down hill from there.

Best Wishes,

Chrissy

Muse Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 7

I didn't overbeat it, in fact I was actually afraid I hadn't mixed it enough. This morning, the tops were moist to the point of sticky so it may have been too much liquid.

I've never had a problem with DH before. I even managed to alter the mix enough to get rid of that weird spicy tang DH French Vanilla has. They're still edible and once frosted they'll look fine, it just irritated me.

prettycakelady Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 7

Hello,

I can share from experience in baking, I believe adding the extra ingredients especially sour cream is what caused the cupcakes to sink. When I first started baking and decorating I followed several of the recipes stating to add sour cream or ingredients to cake mix. Sometimes my cakes or cupcakes would come out perfectly and other times they were very very heavy in texture (I mean beyond dense,ladies icon_biggrin.gif ) and would sink. Then on other occasions the cakes or cupcakes would bake just fine no problems at all. Baking is a delicate science to begin with and we never know how a cake or cupcakes will turn out anyway, but I found when I added extras I increased my chances of failure. I know many add additional ingredients to their mixes with no problems, but I was always guaranteed a mess when I did.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%