How Many Batches Of Nfsc Would I Need? Plus Timeline ?

Baking By disneynutbsv Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 12:01pm by disneynutbsv

disneynutbsv Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 12

I am to make 185 (I guess actually an even 200) wedding cake cookies and the cutter is 4" long and 3.5" wide (at the widest point). How many batches of NFSC would I need. Plus...

These cookies are due on a Saturday. They are plain white with small bands of colors and very small flowers. I need to bake, decorate, and bag (with tags) these cookies. Plus I need to do two cakes for this wedding (lol, not the wedding cake, an anniversary cake for the brides Aunt & Uncle and the Grooms cake). So....any idea for a timeline? I have over a month to go, but I just want to make sure I can clear out that week if necessary.

11 replies
cwcopeland Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 12

I did 220 wedding cookies back in April but only needed 180. I wanted to make sure I had enough and took in consideration the breakage of some. Here's the pic: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1215497

They were 4x4 and about 1/2 inch thick. We wanted sturdy cookies. I got about 15 cookies per batch so I did 15 batches.

I baked and glazed one day (all day). Let them dry the next day. Airbrushed and piped the borders the next day. Let them dry another day and packaged them the next day. It took me a total of 5 days.

Good luck!

disneynutbsv Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:00pm
post #3 of 12

Wow! I'm hoping her totals are cut down a bit, she still hasn't gotten all her RSVP's back. This is my gift to her.

Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 12

CW Copeland....is correct..I made 350 in March for a school for Easter...I baked over 3 weekends and froze them in counts of 10.They were due for a friday so I started on Monday.I flooded them all Monday and Tuesday..let them dry overnight...Piped in the small stuff on Wednesday and bagged all day Thursday...pickup friday.I got about 12-15 cookies per batch and I think I made 14 batches.

disneynutbsv Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

CW Copeland....is correct..I made 350 in March for a school for Easter...I baked over 3 weekends and froze them in counts of 10.They were due for a friday so I started on Monday.I flooded them all Monday and Tuesday..let them dry overnight...Piped in the small stuff on Wednesday and bagged all day Thursday...pickup friday.I got about 12-15 cookies per batch and I think I made 14 batches.

Could you explain how you did this (I've never made this many cookies before!). So you baked them, cooled them, then froze them....did you wrap them? Place them in a container? Did you stack them while they were freezing? How long did you let them thaw before decorating?

icon_redface.gif Thanks and I hope I'm not asking too many questionsicon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 12

After they cooled I stacked them in groups of ten.I wrapped them tightly in saran wrap then I froze them.I stakced them in a box row by row and then on top of each other.When you go to decorate I jsut take one or two packages out at a time and decorate.I do not thaw..they thaw fast anyway but they are easier to handle when they are not soft.

disneynutbsv Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks KiddieKakes!

cwcopeland Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:05pm
post #8 of 12

Kiddie Cakes- Thanks for confirming. I was second guessing myself about the totals and had to back and look to make sure I was correct. It started out as chaos making all those cookies.

Disney- A little advice: Get a system down, kind of like an assembly line. It is sooo much easier if you get an assembly line down. I baked and glazed mine a couple of weeks before the wedding then stuck them in the freezer. In the meantime, I found out we needed more cookies so I started baking again.

I laid all the cookies out on my dining table. I got those big cookie sheets that I bake on and put a layer of cookies on it. I airbrushed those cookies and then put them back on the table. I did this until they were all airbrushed. It would have been faster if I had someone to load and unload cookies for me while I was airbrushing so if you can recruit a kid or grandkid that would be great. I did the same thing with the border, loading them on the cookie sheets. I seemed easier pecking away at them like that instead of doing them one by one at the table.

When I packaged them, I went ahead and put each of them in their own bag, loaded a couple of dozen in a basket and sat in front of the TV while I tied the ribbons on them. My fingers were so soar!

I started this post this morning and got sidetracked. Sorry if I've duplicated someone elses post.

toleshed Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:16am
post #9 of 12

cwcopeland - do you have pics?

cwcopeland Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:49am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by toleshed

cwcopeland - do you have pics?

If you're talking about the finished cookie, here it is:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1215497

I have a couple of pics of DH working on some cookies. He got a crash course in a snails trail. My hand had given out. There are a bunch of cookies on the table that are in various stages of the process. Also a pic of the table with the cookies on it at the reception.

Let me know if you wanna see them and I'll figure out how to put them on here.

toleshed Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 9:19am
post #11 of 12

Its the airbrushing I wanted to see. I want to learn how to do it. Thanks

disneynutbsv Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:01pm
post #12 of 12

So the total has changed!

And I'm so glad icon_biggrin.gif

Her totals went from 200 to 100, but now also with a cookie bouquet.

I am going to have to start making a few batches and freezing them.

If I want to get them rolled out to store them in the freezer, how to you do this? A large rubbermaid container? Wax paper in between the cookies? How do they not "stick" to the wax paper!

Can you tell I'm nervous about this, lol?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%