Bake Even Strips/baking Core Question

Decorating By jolmk Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 12:22am by cakedout

jolmk Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:38am
post #1 of 8

When I bake cakes I HAVE to use bake even strips. Now I need to bake some 14" cakes and was told to use a baking core. Do I still need to use the strips?

7 replies
JoAnnB Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:07am
post #2 of 8

The bigger the cake, the more risk of the center not getting baked evenly. I would use both, just because it will provide the best results.

However, I would use a couple of inverted flower nails, rather than the baking core.

jamhays Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:26am
post #3 of 8

the baking core is a pain to use IMO. I just use greased flower great & much easier to deal with.

bashini Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:24am
post #4 of 8

I haven't tried the baking strips yet. But I use flower nails all the time. It works perfectly well. icon_biggrin.gif

superstar Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 8

Baking strips & flower nails. I always use them.

abslu Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 8

Ditto! I usually use both strips and flower nails. In a cake I did last week (9" rounds) I forgot to use the nail, but they turned out fine. . . . I panicked a little bit, but things were fine. I don't EVER forget my bake even strips!!! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 8

I use baking strips only on all cakes, from my 6" rounds to my 16" squares to my 14x22" sheet. Grease-only-no-flour the pans; 325 degrees in a conventional oven .... 275 in a convection oven. I've never used flower nails or cores and I don't see a need for them (plus ... even tho' I know everyone says you fill the core with batter and then "plug" the hole ... I just don't want a big 'ole hole in my cake!)

cakedout Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:22am
post #8 of 8

I'm of the same line of thought as indydebi - all strips and no core or nails.

I do, however use one of those Pampered Chef 9x13 baking stones on the rack below my cakes. My one oven is a bit uneven, so the stone evens out the heat and between the stone and the white cakes come out with absolutely little or no hard outside crust! thumbs_up.gif (and little to no hump!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%