Vaseline + Cake Decorating

Decorating By SWHEATLEYCAKES Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 5:55pm by kchart

kchart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kchart Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 6:55pm
post #151 of 176

I'm sure it was probably just some snooty comment she made. I seriously doubt she actually put it onto the cake. Right, if she actually does use it why on earth would she tell anybody??? Like when you accidentally drop something on the kitchen floor and feed it to your husband anyway.........icon_smile.gif you never reveal things like that.

My vote is for: SHE'S FULL O CRAP!

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 7:18pm
post #152 of 176

Just a little side note here for lutie:

Vaseline glass contains uranium, also known as uranium glass. The vaseline glass term was something that it became popularly known as.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_glass#Vaseline_glass

Please be careful!

HTH

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:38pm
post #153 of 176

Let's give the lady a name... Vaseline Valerie or something.

Saying 'she' all the time gets confusing!

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:43am
post #154 of 176

Glad you like the term cake fight, Janette. And boy, I hope no one thought I was complaining about the post I've been religiously reading, and came back to first thing after work icon_lol.gif I'm having too much fun watching all the drama to ever ask for it to stop. And I really do want to know about this vaseline thing! I wonder if OP could call the lady's place of business and make up some weird food allergy (something contained in vaseline) and ask if the food comes in any contact with that??? Or if Vaseline Valerie would recognize her voice, maybe one of us could call? icon_smile.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:21am
post #155 of 176

I don't think we should contact the vaseline lady, that would put an end to the whole thread. This is like the old movies, which I love. It leaves everything to the imagination and who better to challenge the imagination of, but a group of cake decorators.

I would not eat a slice of cake which I knew had been rubbed with vaseline. I also would not eat cake which I knew had been rubbed with Crisco.

Maybe we should set up a poll
1. she did rub vaseline on the cake.
2. she just said that as a smarty remark.
3. she wanted to give them something to talk about because she usually types in all caps and didn't want them to talk about that.

kchart Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:21am
post #156 of 176

lol, i like the name vaseline valerie. perfect!

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:36am
post #157 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

I don't think we should contact the vaseline lady, that would put an end to the whole thread. This is like the old movies, which I love. It leaves everything to the imagination and who better to challenge the imagination of, but a group of cake decorators.

I would not eat a slice of cake which I knew had been rubbed with vaseline. I also would not eat cake which I knew had been rubbed with Crisco.

Maybe we should set up a poll
1. she did rub vaseline on the cake.
2. she just said that as a smarty remark.
3. she wanted to give them something to talk about because she usually types in all caps and didn't want them to talk about that.

I SAY IT'S #3! lol!!

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 4:13am
post #158 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchart

I'm sure it was probably just some snooty comment she made. I seriously doubt she actually put it onto the cake. Right, if she actually does use it why on earth would she tell anybody??? Like when you accidentally drop something on the kitchen floor and feed it to your husband anyway.........icon_smile.gif you never reveal things like that.

My vote is for: SHE'S FULL O CRAP!

hahahahahhaha guess im not the only one who does this icon_lol.gif

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:01am
post #159 of 176

RE: "just a little side note here for lutie:

Vaseline glass contains uranium, also known as uranium glass. The vaseline glass term was something that it became popularly known as.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.....line_glass "

I do not put any stock in wikipedia as anyone can change the information at any time... it is like those little wax boards we used to write on when we were kids and you lift it up to erase it... you can write anything about anyone or anything on wikipedia.

So, I checked with an antique dealer and looked online... this is what they both said: no problem with vaseline glass unless you want to saw into it and cut it into pieces. Here is what the researcher of vaseline glass/uranium glass online stated:

"I am now able to report that in June 2003 I assisted the UK's National Radiological Protection Board (NRPB) in a study of uranium bearing glass. During this study, technical representatives of the NRPB visited my home and conducted extensive tests on a very wide variety of uranium bearing glass from many manufacturers and time periods. They confirmed that the radiation levels detected were low and quite safe with normal use."

http://1st.glassman.com/vaselineglass.html"

With Uranium, it occurs naturally in low concentrations (a few parts per million) in soil, rock and water. It depends upon the amount of neutrons that are included to determine whether it is of the dangerous kind or not...
this is not the type of uranium that is used in nuclear reactors. It has been used in dishware and glassware supposedly since 79 AD... but can be documented to be in use in the 1800's. I will continue to use my cake plate... it is not dangerous... maybe we should look at "leaded glass"?

My clients are safe, as is my family. but thanks for the caring.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:18am
post #160 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Let's give the lady a name... Vaseline Valerie or something.

Saying 'she' all the time gets confusing!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I was gonna tell you why we call our daughter Vaseline Valerie but I realized it's way too gross to share here! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif It's related to the reason she's scared of birthday candles too...

mushbug9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mushbug9 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:28pm
post #161 of 176

OMG Texas Rose (that wasn't all caps, was it???)
See I just have the most FRIGHTENING thought in my head about your lsat post. PLEASE tell us about thew birthday candles so I can sleep better at night. EEEkkkkkkkk. I can just see the tormenting brother syndrome now....

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:14pm
post #162 of 176

OMG! i just read all 11 pages of this post, and laughed my tush off! some of the cracks you ppl make are hilarious, this thread is great, keep the wisecracks coming.

VannaD Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:27pm
post #163 of 176

BTW i found this website http://www.chefnoah.com/foodtips.htm and it had tons of uses for all kinds of household items, it was neat, but i would never shave with crunchy peanut butter!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:37pm
post #164 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushbug9

OMG Texas Rose (that wasn't all caps, was it???)
See I just have the most FRIGHTENING thought in my head about your lsat post. PLEASE tell us about thew birthday candles so I can sleep better at night. EEEkkkkkkkk. I can just see the tormenting brother syndrome now....

Nothing to do with her sibling...icon_biggrin.gif

Valerie was 4 when we moved, and she wouldn't have a BM anywhere but home. When we moved, she held it for several weeks. We had to try a variety of remedies including vaseline on a q-tip and baby Fleet suppositories (we tried medicine first...anyone who can hold it after taking milk of magnesia is really determined, I can't imagine how that didn't work). The suppositories look like birthday candles. So I guess she was traumatized by it, because whenever we have a family birthday, if someone uses white candles Valerie will go and hide. But whenever I put vaseline on her baby sister's bottom, Valerie would bring me a q-tip and ask for some too icon_redface.gif . And 2 years later, when she sees it at walmart she still asks me to buy more.

YouTakeTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YouTakeTheCake Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:42pm
post #165 of 176

I will honestly say that I didn't read all 11 pages of this post....I got as far as the creator of vaseline eating a bit everyday........... so I hope I am not repeating anything!!!

Well I can honestly say that Vaseline won't kill you......Yes the thought of eating it is totally disgusting........................My Ex husband while he did not eat Vaseline everyday, when he was sick with a cold (and he was always getting a cold) would take a big scoop of Vicks...which is a Vaseline product and stick it on the back of his tongue/in the back of his throat to help clear his sinuses and soothe his sore throat.... It was gross...I couldn't watch him do it...but he swore by it.

YUCK!!!!!!!!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:14pm
post #166 of 176
Quote:

ORANGE JUICE!!!

Fresh squeezed or off the shelf from a jug?

icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:09pm
post #167 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

Quote:

ORANGE JUICE!!!

icon_lol.gif

Now you're not trying to start that "scratch or mix" debate are you? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 9:35pm
post #168 of 176

Hi Folks
This is fab!!!
I'm very new to CC and am a bit of a cake novice, but I do have a very experienced sense of humour - you have really made me laugh, what a tonic! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Now I have to go look elsewhere to find out how to stop black tappit letters bleeding on to white fondant. Does anyone know if Vaseline would help? icon_confused.gif

AnneMarie

mushbug9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mushbug9 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 10:13pm
post #169 of 176

Welcome Annmarie.
I am not sure about the vaseline tapedshut.gif
but when I do dark colors onto fondant I use royal icing as a glue so if anyrthing gets tinted, its the RI. I am not sure what tappit letters are (hopefully not made FROM Vaseline...) but that may work for them too. GL.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:26am
post #170 of 176

I think there is a good chance that the cake decorator in question may well use vaseline on her cakes. Why else would she insist on cutting the cakes herself, cut off all the outside, and refuse to serve the outer section? It seems she knows not to serve it because it is not food safe. I wish she would consider another way to smooth her cakes. She really could make someone sick.
I'm surprised she even said she used Vaseline. Word travels fast, especially in a smaller town, and that is not the kind of advertising that makes people want to order from you. To be honest, if she really is using unsafe practices in her cake decorating, maybe this can be the opportunity for people to voice their concern to her, and give her the opportunity to change. Since she is the most popular in town, she must have great skill, so it would be a shame for her to cling to unsafe ways.

In another thread, a decorator was using Elmer's Glue to stick her actual cakes to the cardboards. Even though glue may be non-toxic, it is still a disgusting thing to put on food.

Can people say liability....liability....liability...?

-Debbie B.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:33am
post #171 of 176

Maybe she uses Wilton fondant?

yuck-patooie! ...shudder...

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:48am
post #172 of 176

Man, can't believe I made it through all 12 pages.

Do you think someone misheard or misquoted her and she really uses glycerin?

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:33am
post #173 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

Quote:

ORANGE JUICE!!!

icon_lol.gif

Now you're not trying to start that "scratch or mix" debate are you? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Well I could if we want this thread to get to 50 pages in the next 24 hours.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:25pm
post #174 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

Using Vaseline on cakes doesn't really surprise me. When I first started decorating I went to a lot of cake contests. They used to be held in shopping malls and it was a lot of fun. This was in 1976 and long before fondant became used. I heard them talking about a cake which took first place in the wedding cake category. The cake was iced with royal icing. The decorator let the icing dry, hard, she then used sand paper to sand it down to an ultra smooth finish. She took this masterpiece of hers from show to show, showing off her abilities as a cake decorator. Decorating a cake for show, which could not be eaten made no sense to me. Other decorators started taking up this practice and I quietly bowed out of competition decorating.

I am still decorating cakes today, and that is why I am a die-hard buttercream decorator. If something is too hard to bite into or has chemicals in it which can not be consumed, it doesn't go on my cakes. For those who want copyrighted designs, I do use plastic toys for that and hope the customer and guests realize it is not to be eaten.

Im with you i dont like biting into something that could break your teeth and may take a long long time to pass icon_wink.gif

VannaD Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:15pm
post #175 of 176

Texas_Rose thanks for clearing that up, whew, didnt know what to think. BTW my 3.5 yr used to hold it alot , up to 2 weeks at a time. I tried everything except vaseline, more fiber in her diet, laxitives, i even made her drink alot of prune juice(way to much), which worked 1 time and after that she wouldnt drink it again, i cant blame her, her poop was like water icon_eek.gif . i think now shes finally grown out of it, she goes about twice a week, ok ill stop now b/c this is way off topic!

kchart Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:55pm
post #176 of 176

well, i for one am hoping to get this thing to 50 pages. hmmmmmm......................are you with me ALL CAPS supporters??? icon_smile.gif

carolyn, i've never had fresh squeezed so i'm going to have to say off the shelf with extra pulp!

we should start a new post for the "outcasts and rulebreakers" only. of course i guess that what at least page 4 and up has been on this one lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%