Cream Cheese Icing For Wedding Cake

Decorating By mario_1969 Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 8:49pm by karateka

mario_1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mario_1969 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 2:41am
post #1 of 7

HI
Need to make a Cream CHeese Icing for a Wedding Cake....and am fumbling for a recipe as there are so many variations.

Does anyone have a great one that may put my search to an end....this icing will be going on a 'Red Velvet Cake'

THX

Marian

6 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:45am
post #2 of 7

my advice...

DON'T DO IT!!!

I tried this for a wedding cake and it was an incredible disaster. First recipe wouldn't crust. Added more PS and it crusted too fast and wouldn't smooth. I fooled around with it for so long I had to make my regular icing and just mix a little of the cream cheese frosting in with it. Like 2/3 regular 1/3 cc.

I'm just trying to save you some tears here.... that stuff is NOT suitable for anything you need to smooth.

karateka Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:46am
post #3 of 7

Sorry...have no idea how that posted twice... icon_confused.gif

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 8:31am
post #4 of 7

I always used the decorator's crusting cc icing recipe from here and it's WONDERFUL! I've never had any problems with it. I've never used it for a wedding cake, but made tons of Valentine's hearts (red velvet) and used it for Valentine's Day and got nothing but praise. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work as well. I even added an extra bit of cream cheese b/c I love that tangy taste. I did keep the cakes refridgerated though, but I always refridgerate all my cakes. Good luck!

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 7

I must agree with Karateka. Cream cheese icing is very temperamental even if you do have a recipe that crusts. Tastes great but usually just too soft to do much with.

mario_1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mario_1969 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 7

actually the design she wants is very rough not smooth looks very messy in the pic that she has asked for - she wants red velvet cake she really would like the cream cheese icing....she's paying for it so I though I might give it a whirl...

karateka Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 7

In that case, go for it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%