New Idea For Cake Truffles...

Decorating By foxymomma521 Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 7:09am by maimai16

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 2:26am
post #1 of 48

Hi Guys- I was playing around with some cake scraps today and came up with these... http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1243518

I bought a pkg of ice cream cones last week, but when I opened them they were so small my 2 yr old wouldn't eat them icon_eek.gif so I made cake truffle cones icon_biggrin.gif
I coated the inside with chocolate, then stuffed cake truffle filling into the cone (I left about 1/4" of room at the top) Then I covered in chocolate and gently smooshed a cake truffle on top. After that chocolate set I dipped the whole top in chocolate and put sprinkles on icon_smile.gif
I figured these would be something new that my kids would like thumbs_up.gif
Happy Cakin' icon_wink.gif
Kris

47 replies
foxymomma521 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:00am
post #2 of 48

Do people already make these and I didn't know it?

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:13am
post #3 of 48

Sounds yummy!

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:19am
post #4 of 48

These are so cute!!! The kids are going to love them (and the kid in the rest of us will as well icon_wink.gif ). Very sweet and innovative. Thanks for the idea! I've got some grandchildren who would love them!

BTW, there may have been variations of it, but I don't ever recall seeing these. I know about the cakes being baked in ice cream cones and then either ice cream or frosting with sprinkles on top. Yum!

Thanks again for sharing! Too cool! icon_cool.gificon_lol.gif

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:20am
post #5 of 48

Thanks for sharing this idea--these are TOO cute! I don't think I've seen these little cones before, but I'm gonna start looking!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:22am
post #6 of 48

Cool idea icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

foxymomma521 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:34am
post #7 of 48

Thanks guys! I just checked and the cones are Kids Cones made by Joy. I didn't realize the picture on the box said actual size icon_lol.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:53am
post #8 of 48

I didn't know they still made that size! I used to buy them for my kids when they were little and then after that, they were used for my dog!

This is the cutest idea ever! Good job thinking it up for cakeballs! Love it!! The ideas are flowing!

foxymomma521 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 2:52pm
post #9 of 48

I don't know if anyone has a Wegman's near them, but that's where I bought them. There are 60 cones in the box, and I think I paid 2 bucks... Thanks everyone!

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:48pm
post #10 of 48

This was such a good idea. We here at cc are creative bunch of folks icon_biggrin.gif

brendaonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendaonline Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:40am
post #11 of 48

I had leftover cake so I'm making a batch right now. How did you put the chocolate inside the cones?

The chocolate is too thick to run in on its own, and I'm having to spend a lot of time smushing it in.

I used a combination of confectionery disks and chocolate chips.

foxymomma521 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:56am
post #12 of 48

I used Ghirardelli chocolate for candy making with a drop of veg oil. I just took a spoon and started to pour the chocolate in. I started at the top and just kept turning and shaking till it was covered. I hope that makes sense icon_confused.gif ! Then I put some of the truffle filling in, covered with a little more choc and then put a cake ball on top. Let the chocolate set, then dip the whole top in. Maybe I'll take pictures step by step because I'm terrible at explaining things! My mind thinks it but my fingers can't type it icon_cry.gif

brendaonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendaonline Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:08am
post #13 of 48

Actually, that's a good explanation. I just don't have the chocolate melted enough. Next time I'll have to add some oil or shortening. Thanks!

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:34am
post #14 of 48

What do you mean by truffle filling?
I've made cake truffles (aka cake balls) before and know how to do that, but I'm not sure what truffle filling is.
Great idea, by the way, and thanks for sharing. I really want to try this sometime.

foxymomma521 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 10:48am
post #15 of 48

It's the same thing. Cake truffle filling/cake ball filling... just your cake scraps mixed with flavored coffee creamer. I found a new one last night that I'm going to try later today. It's called Italian Cream... Yum!

sweet_T7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_T7 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:10am
post #16 of 48

What a cute idea!!!!! I'm gonna try these today. Thanx!!! icon_biggrin.gif

ShortcakesSweets Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 4:17pm
post #17 of 48

So, basically what you're saying is: You took your cake crumbs and mixed them like you're making cake truffles ~ then stuffed some of that mixture into the cone that was coated with chocolate. Then put an actual cake truffle on top then dipped the top in chocolate? Sorry to ask so many questions; I just got a little confused.

foxymomma521 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 4:28pm
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortcakesSweets

So, basically what you're saying is: You took your cake crumbs and mixed them like you're making cake truffles ~ then stuffed some of that mixture into the cone that was coated with chocolate. Then put an actual cake truffle on top then dipped the top in chocolate? Sorry to ask so many questions; I just got a little confused.

Yes, that's how I did it thumbs_up.gif The only difference is after I stuffed the cone with the cake crumb mixture, I put more chocolate on top and then a cake truffle... then I let that set (so when I turned it upside down the truffle wouldn't fall off) and then dipped it in chocolate. I am making these again this week and will take pics because I suck at explaining things icon_razz.gif

ShortcakesSweets Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:24pm
post #19 of 48

Thank you. No, you're fine at explaining ~ it just takes me a while to get my brain wrapped around a new concept. icon_redface.gif .....but I think I've got it now. icon_biggrin.gif

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:02pm
post #20 of 48

how cute, i bet your kids just love them

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:21pm
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

It's the same thing. Cake truffle filling/cake ball filling... just your cake scraps mixed with flavored coffee creamer. I found a new one last night that I'm going to try later today. It's called Italian Cream... Yum!

Oh my gosh, that one's my favorite! So good as the liquid in WASC. Delish!

Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:26pm
post #22 of 48

That is a GREAT idea!!! thumbs_up.gif

I have left over vanilla cake and espresso bc left over and I definitely want to try this. Question...I used the recipe for cake balls from this forum but my cake balls didn't come out so good. icon_sad.gif They came out very grainy and soggy. I may have put too much BC. What consistency should the cake balls be when the cake and bc are combined?

Thanks again for sharing with us! icon_biggrin.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:27pm
post #23 of 48

Loooove it! Gotta try them this summer!

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:10pm
post #24 of 48

A few weeks back I tried to make cake truffles but the mixture was really wet. I put them in the over to dry out, but they started to spread out, so I cranked up the heat and made cookies instead. I brought them to my Michael's (where I teach) and everyone loved them!

foxymomma521 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:21pm
post #25 of 48

I add just enough liquid to bind them. Not a drop more or they are too squishy. I haven't made them with bc yet, so I can't help you there thumbs_up.gif

foxymomma521 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:26pm
post #26 of 48

Okay guys... I just made some and I took a picture of the steps. Each cone is another step in the process...
Cone one is the chocolate coating on the inside.
Cone two is the cake truffle filling stuffed inside.
Cone three is the chocolate covering the cake truffle fillng.
Cone four is the cakeball put on top until the chocolate sets.
Cone five is the end result.
Hope this helps usaribbon.gif
LL

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:04pm
post #27 of 48

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif Thank you sooo much for sharing this!!! I am so excited to try it! I just did bakerella's cupcake pops last night and my kids LOVE them! I know they will be thrilled with these as well! How cute are these for birthday's at school!! There are so many fun things to do with cake!!! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

foxymomma521 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:17pm
post #28 of 48

Post pics so we can see icon_biggrin.gif

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:42pm
post #29 of 48

The pics are in my photos! I can't figure out how to post pics in the forums.... icon_cry.gif Thanks foxy!! I used the pampered chef cookie scoop to make the "icecream" balls on top so they's look as realistic as possible. The only prob I had was on some I didn't put enough chocolate under the cake ball to adhere it well. So my only recommendation is to make sure there's enough at the top of the cone....but not so much that it spills down the sides when you put the top on..... icon_redface.gif had that happen too! Love these love these!!! thumbs_up.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 4:56pm
post #30 of 48

I don't know... chocolate dripping down the sides sounds like summer and ice cream cones to me! Image

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%