Anyone Planning A "staycation"? Got Any Creative I

Lounge By rezzygirl Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 7:36pm by pieceofcake1

rezzygirl Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 6

"Staycation" is the buzz word for this summer since the price of traveling is outrageous. So I was wondering what kind of stuff do you have planned that's close to home? I can't think of anything creative for the whole family to do icon_sad.gif Any ideas?

5 replies
peg818 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:25am
post #2 of 6

Well, you are in the hudson valley so really there is plenty to do with out traveling too far. The most inexpensive thing to do with the family is camping, go to one of the regions parks and pitch a tent or rent a cabin. Its a great way to get away from everything for a week or just a weekend. Depending on the age of your children there is always hiking, biking, take in a museum a picnic in the park .... The list just goes on and on, when all else fails and if you are brave you can always take a dip in the river icon_wink.gif, of course that probably depends on how far south you are in the HV region.

HerBoudoir Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 6

Hit up some travel guides. If you belong to AAA, you can get a free TripBook for your area. Go to a local bookstore and browse through travel guides for your area - there's usually plenty including mainstream attractions, books for "weird travels" type attractions and activities that are unusual, etc. You can usually find tons of different things to do in those.

You can find local guides to things like different hikes, different bike paths, etc, without too much trouble.

You probably have a local (at least at county level) CVB/Tourism board. They probably have a website or at least a brochure package that they can send you.

You'd be amazed at what kinds of things you can find within an hour or two's drive of your home that you never knew existed.

punkinpie Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 6

I actually love day trips and small adventures and prefer them over long car trips:

-Do you have a swimming pool or beach nearby? Swimming, canoing and kayaking are fun.
-Local libraries often have fun activities in the summer.
-I love packing a lunch, drinks and snacks to really make it feel like an adventure
-Is their a museum or other local activities that you never seem to get time to do, now is good.
-An afternoon at the movies.
-Host a bbq with a theme

How old are your children? That might help with the suggestions.

peg818 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 6

Another thing to ask yourself, Is what do you normally do on vacation?? Cause frankly alot of people head to the Hudson Valley for vacation, so chances are you don't have to go far to enjoy a great one.

pieceofcake1 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 6

I think this would be a great fun activity. Just google "geocaching" for info. In my area geocaching can be done in a local area or more complicated. It's fun for the entire family and great exercise if you choose a more difficult route. You only need a GPS which can be purchased for around $100.00.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%