Banana Version Of Wasc Anyone?

Decorating By anku Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 9:49pm by summernoelle

anku Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 21

Hello everybody,
I have to make a Banana cake for 50 people and I was wondering if anybody knows or have tried a Banana WASC?

Please help....I don't know what to do?!

20 replies
staten93 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 21

I would think if you used a banana flavored cake mix and used banana extract that it would taste fine. I would use vanilla and banana flavorings, not the almond extract. I would use the banana extract carefully because a little can go a long ways. Good luck.

indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 21

I've never made the WASC cake, but I did make a banana flavored cake by just adding banana flavoring (McCormick in the red box at Walmart) to a white cake mix. So unless a scratch recipe is really different, wouldn't it be just a substitution of flavoring?

HerBoudoir Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 21

Are you taste-testing it first?

I ask because I tried a couple different versions of banana cake when I was in developing a bananas foster cupcake, and I always found that the banana cake tasted too much like a muffin, and didn't go well with any kind of frosting/filling.

loriemoms Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 21

The Cake Mix Doctor has a incredible banana cake recipe. It uses real bananas, and yellow cake mix. It doesnt have that funky artifical banana flavor to it and is very moist. I can post it if it is allowed here...

anku Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:07am
post #6 of 21

Yes loriemoms that's the recipe that I normally use...but to adapt it to 50 people..I was kinda confused. Didn't know how to do it.

loriemoms Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:22am
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by anku

Yes loriemoms that's the recipe that I normally use...but to adapt it to 50 people..I was kinda confused. Didn't know how to do it.

I have doubled that recipe many times...it normally does 2-9 inch pans. Are you doing a two tiered cake? You can do a 8 inch top tier and a 11 or 12 inch bottom tier. Top tier is one recipe and bottom tier is double recipe.

anku Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:09am
post #8 of 21

Thanks so much for the help!

sugarshack Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:22am
post #9 of 21

i JUST made the wasc using DH banana supreme mix

YUMMO!!

penguinprincess Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:18pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

The Cake Mix Doctor has a incredible banana cake recipe. It uses real bananas, and yellow cake mix. It doesnt have that funky artifical banana flavor to it and is very moist. I can post it if it is allowed here...

Yes! Please share the recipe! I would love to try it! Thank you!

loriemoms Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:42pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

i JUST made the wasc using DH banana supreme mix

YUMMO!!

I wish they had that many flavors of DH here! I can't even find the dark chocolate anymore. (I hate their devils food). I bought some betty crocker to try out...

loriemoms Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:50pm
post #12 of 21

Sure!

Banana Cake

1 package of yellow cake mix
1/2 cup of packed light brown sugar
2 med size ripe bananas peeled and mashed (about 1 cup)
1 cup of water
1/2 cup oil (veg, canola, corn, safflower)
3 large eggs (I use 4 here in NC)
1 teas ground cinnamon
2 teas of creme de banana liquer (optional)

Lightly grease 2 9 inch rounds. (She has you preheat the oven to 350, but I bake these at 325...)
Place the cake mix, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Add the mashed bananas, water, oil, eggs and creme de banana if desired. Blend low speed 1 minute. Scrap sides and blend again for 2 minutes on medium. THe batter will look well blended and bananas pureed.

Divide into pans and bake until they are lightly brown-30-32 minutes at the 350. Little longer at 325.

penguinprincess Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:09am
post #13 of 21

thank you so much! I will have to try it this weekend!!

loriemoms Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:38am
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinprincess

thank you so much! I will have to try it this weekend!!

Its also really good adding mini chocolate chips to it!!!

Have fun!

staceyboots Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:17pm
post #15 of 21

loriemoms, thanks for the recipe too!

i actually made a query in another post because a little boy (about 6 years old) asked for a banana cake. i wasn't sure if he wanted a typical scratch cake made with real bananas, or a WASC cake flavoured with banana syrup.

is banana liqueur the same thing as banana syrup?

loriemoms Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:00pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyboots

loriemoms, thanks for the recipe too!

i actually made a query in another post because a little boy (about 6 years old) asked for a banana cake. i wasn't sure if he wanted a typical scratch cake made with real bananas, or a WASC cake flavoured with banana syrup.

is banana liqueur the same thing as banana syrup?

I doubt it. Banana liqeur has a rich flavor. I dont know if syrup does..and it doesnt taste as fake..

staceyboots Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:42pm
post #17 of 21

thanks for responding!

does liqueur have a lot of alcohol in it? is it suitable for children?

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:54pm
post #18 of 21

One of the WASC versions on CC calls for three ripe mashed bananas in it. I haven't tried it but it sounds great.

anku Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 8:34pm
post #19 of 21

What about the water content? The liquid to remain same...or it'll change with 3 mashed bananas in it!?

loriemoms Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 9:19pm
post #20 of 21

I had tried the mashed bananas with WASC...it didn't rise right and the middle was very soft. I also tried it with banana pudding, and it tasted too artificial for me. I just don't care for fake food flavors, I guess.

summernoelle Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 9:49pm
post #21 of 21

loriemoms-thank you for posting that! It sounds awesome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%