Need Help Baking 2 Flavored Cake

Decorating By jen4230 Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 12:07pm by jen4230

jen4230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen4230 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 10

Ok I make cakes all the time but have never made a cake so large that i could use 2 different flavors and bake in the same pan. i have an 11x15 pan and i want chocolate and vanilla cake but i want to bake them together to make one big cake. My question is how do i do this so they dont run together? Is there a way to seperate them while pouring into the pan so they dont make like marble cake? Thank you really need help i need to make this cake for this saturday. icon_redface.gif

9 replies
pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 12:10am
post #2 of 10

I would make an aluminum foil border and have and extra pair of hands hold the border in place. pour in the batter and lastly remove border. This is how those checkerboard cake sets work, only they use a little plastic doodad in place of aluminum foil.

Your other option is to bake both cakes separately and then lie them next to each other post-baking.

jen4230 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:23am
post #3 of 10

Thank you..I have heard of that i just didnt know how well it would really work. I am going to tey it though instead of going out and buying something special to use as a seperator this would be much easier..thank you..I have been doing cake decorating since 1999 i do the basic character cakes but starting to dabble on my own teaching myself stuff so everything i can learn from on here is a big help.

misha35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misha35 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:30am
post #4 of 10

I have someone help me pour one flavor at one side of the pan & I pour the other flavor at the other end... if you both watch the speed of pouring, they will meet in the middle.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:40am
post #5 of 10

What about just making one layer chocolate and one layer vanialla (or whatever flavors you were planning on using). Each piece would have both flavors!

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:41am
post #6 of 10

I am lucky enough to have two mixers. I mixed the two flavors and then poured them both at the same time. The dividing line was not perfectly straight, but straight enough for what I wanted.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:50am
post #7 of 10

I PM'd you!

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:52am
post #8 of 10

I used the aluminum foil method before, and it worked great! I made a divider several layers thick of foil and crimped the edges at the edge of the pan to keep it in place while I poured the batters.

It even worked well when I realized that I had forgotten to grease the pan and had to pour both batters back into their respective bowls, wash the pan, grease it, and pour them in again. icon_wink.gif

clarasmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clarasmommy Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:53am
post #9 of 10

I've done it a couple times... I cut part of a cereal box since it's so thin, and wrap it in foil, set it in the middle, and pour. Both times, it's turned out great! The foil border would be good too, but it's kinda thin. I use the box, so the weight of the cake doesn't collapse the border. The first time, I even put it in the oven with the border for like 5 minutes, and then pulled it out. But don't wait too long, or the cake will fall.

jen4230 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 12:07pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you everybody for the great ideas. I am new at this so i have been teaching myself new things but sometimes i just dont know what to do and I am so glad I found CC i have had all my questions answered and had some great ideas..So thank you to you all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%