Need Help With Royal Icing And Leaves

Decorating By Iloveweddings Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 6:49pm by staceyboots

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone. I cannot get royal icing right to make roses. My flowers were mushy and melty. I thickened up my royal icing with more sugar and it still wan't good. I couling even get the rose "cone" to stay up. I made that royal icing so thick I had one hell of a time just getting it to come out of the bag! What is it I am doing wrong?

Second is my leaves with buttercream. They wouldn't come to a point. I was using tip #352. The end of my leaves would split. I did have piping gel in the buttercream. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:57am
post #2 of 5

Did you mix your royal long enough? If you do not mix it long enough it will feel very stiff but melt. When using a hand mixer you want to mix it atleast 10 mins, with a stand 7 is usually long enough. You want the icing to hold a peek.

As far as your leaves, when you finish piping them, are you pulling the bag back towards you or are you moving it into a 90 degree postion before pulling it back. If you pull your bag up (from the 45 to 90 degree angle) then pull away you will drag the point of the tip through the bottom of your leaf seperating it.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 5

You need to beat your RI until it is not glossy. (7 to 10 minutes)

Also it should be the consistancy of toothpaste.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 5

Are you holding the 352 tip in the right position? Are you holding the tip with the 2 flat "sides" parallel to the board?

if you are, i believe that you are holding the tip incorrectly. try turning the tip at a 1/4 turn so that the "sides" are aligned vertically instead of horizontally.

i hope that you understand my blurb

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 5

Are you holding the 352 tip in the right position? Are you holding the tip with the 2 flat "sides" parallel to the board?

if you are, i believe that you are holding the tip incorrectly. try turning the tip at a 1/4 turn so that the "sides" are aligned vertically instead of horizontally.

i hope that you understand my blurb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%