Witon Fondant 'referred' To As Homemade - Have To Vent

Decorating By poshcakedesigns Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 12:37pm by loriemoms

poshcakedesigns Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 10

I was in store and browsing items and just happened to pick up their box of white fondant. You will be SURPRISED to know that written on the box it reads 'taste like homemade'.!! Which for those of us that make homemade know that's a LIE.

I guess what makes me so mad is when I meet with a client and we talk fondant I tell them I don't use store bought Wilton brand. That I make my own homemade version. So if someone has ever tasted the Wilton fondant and I tell them mine is homemade they might assume that mine taste as awful as theirs seeing as how they have it BOLDLY written on their box 'taste like homemade'.

To me that is false advertising because it certainly does not taste like homemade fondat or else I'd save myself the trouble of making mine and use theirs.

Just had to vent.

9 replies
becklynn Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 10

HAHA! I never noticed that! I've only bought it once when I took the Fondant and Gumpaste Course at Michael's. I had to taste it - YUK
I don't know what "home" it was made in, it but that is some NASTY tasting stuff!
Thanks for the laugh!

mom2spunkynbug Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 10

WOW I've never noticed this on the box and I'm a Wilton Instructor LOL!

That makes me angry too 'cause we ALL know that it tastes like ----! But I bet people will not think that yours tastes like that. I always tell people that I make my own fondant & they can get it in several different flavors & that it tastes nothing like the store-bought kind - it tastes so much better.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

shadowgypsie Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 10

I am a WMI also and never noticed that either so I looked on the box and there it was.

Their fondant tastes nothing like homemade.

Poshcakedesigns if someone asks about flavor, you could always let them sample the wilton brand along with your homemade, I am sure yours will win first choice.

imakecakes Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 10

Just tell your customers that it's as "Homemade" tasting as a Walmart cake. They'll know immediately what you mean.

poshcakedesigns Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 10

LOL thanks guys I just think it's funny they'd write that on their box knowing it doesn't taste anything like homemade.

I always try and have some onhand when I do consultations and NOW will definelty make sure that I do, just in case they have tasted that brand. tapedshut.gif

indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshcakedesigns

I always try and have some onhand when I do consultations and NOW will definelty make sure that I do, just in case they have tasted that brand. tapedshut.gif

And I always told them, "Wait until I get you a trash can so you can spit it out ..... because you WILL want to spit it out!" And yes, they always did!

Mike1394 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 10

What they don't tell you is WHAT home it came from LOLOL

Mike

jess85 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 12:21pm
post #9 of 10

how many of your clients would see the box anyway? i doubt they would know anything about its. they're getting their cake made right?

loriemoms Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 12:37pm
post #10 of 10

Its easily solvable..give them a sample of your fondant at tastings, and they won't wonder if yours taste bad!

I think Wilton is just advertising like everyone else. To get you to buy the fondant.

I never tell customers that I don't use "wilton" I tell them I don't use the Craft Store Fondant as it is designed for Crafts, not wedding cakes. They all know exactly what I am talking about and I don't sound like I am talking against some company! hahaha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%