Number Cake Topper

Decorating By keyshia Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 9:08pm by amberhoney

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 3

This year my mom turns 50 (in Dec). She's never had a big cake before, not a wedding cake or anything (despite 2 marriages!). Anyway, I want to make a big cake for her day. I've found a cake that would be perfect, but I want to know how to make a "50" topper that I can put little crystals on to match her cake. I looked online at some that are already made, and cannot afford to buy one. I did see crystals online on ebay for fairly inexpensive. Thanks for any suggestions! icon_smile.gif Also, what would I use to stick the crystals to it??

Keyshia

2 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 3

Well it depends on if you want an edible number topper (meaning it is made of a sugar product) or if you are fine with something you make from a non edible source - example polymer clay vs gumpaste.
There are many ways to make stand up numbers from sugar products. You can use:
- Royal icing: stick the crystals in the numbers while they are still wet.
-Chocolate: stick crystals with a bit of melted chocolate
-Gumpaste: stick crystals with either a bit of pastrized egg white or with royal icing

With these methods I would insert skewers or toothpicks into the numbers while they are still wet so that you can place them on the cake when ready.

If you chose a non edile method just be creative with what you use but I would still reccomend attaching some toothpicks/skewers for placing on the cake.

It is wonderful that you want to suprise your mom with something so special!

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 3

What about thick plastic laminate, and stick the gems on with hot glue? It may need to be stiffened, a couple of layers of laminate should do the trick and maybe prop it from behind with toothpicks?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%