Number Cake Topper

Decorating By keyshia Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 9:08pm by amberhoney

keyshia Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 3

This year my mom turns 50 (in Dec). She's never had a big cake before, not a wedding cake or anything (despite 2 marriages!). Anyway, I want to make a big cake for her day. I've found a cake that would be perfect, but I want to know how to make a "50" topper that I can put little crystals on to match her cake. I looked online at some that are already made, and cannot afford to buy one. I did see crystals online on ebay for fairly inexpensive. Thanks for any suggestions! icon_smile.gif Also, what would I use to stick the crystals to it??

2 replies
cake-angel Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 3

Well it depends on if you want an edible number topper (meaning it is made of a sugar product) or if you are fine with something you make from a non edible source - example polymer clay vs gumpaste.
There are many ways to make stand up numbers from sugar products. You can use:
- Royal icing: stick the crystals in the numbers while they are still wet.
-Chocolate: stick crystals with a bit of melted chocolate
-Gumpaste: stick crystals with either a bit of pastrized egg white or with royal icing

With these methods I would insert skewers or toothpicks into the numbers while they are still wet so that you can place them on the cake when ready.

If you chose a non edile method just be creative with what you use but I would still reccomend attaching some toothpicks/skewers for placing on the cake.

It is wonderful that you want to suprise your mom with something so special!

amberhoney Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 3

What about thick plastic laminate, and stick the gems on with hot glue? It may need to be stiffened, a couple of layers of laminate should do the trick and maybe prop it from behind with toothpicks?

Quote by @%username% on %date%