Castle Turrets And Paper Towel Rolls

Decorating By dabear Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 10:19pm by pottedmeatchunks

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 9

I was wondering how you do this? Do you leave the paper towel roll in it and place it on the cake? Or do you somehow without breaking the fondant, get the roll out. If you take it out-how do you do it without breaking the fondant?
Thank-you for your help!

8 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 9

Hi there, I have done a castle cake and this is how I did it. I didn't use fodant. I used Pastillage. First I wrap the paper towel roll in clingfilm/saran wrap and then I dusted it with some cornflour/cornstarch. Then I rolled the pastillage and covered the paper towel roll with it and stuck the two edges with some edible glue. You have to leave it to dry completely. When its dry you can take it out easily but carefuly. I learnt this from Lindy smith's Celebrations cake book.

Then I used Icecream cones as the turrets. I covered it with gumpaste using my sugar shaper.

If you look in my photos, it will be much clear to you.

icon_biggrin.gif

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 9

I did the turrets on my castle cake (in my photos) by wrapping the fondant on to the paper towel roll with royal icing and wetting the edges to seal. It was really easy, no removal of the cardboard is necessary. This was one of the most fun cakes I've done...good luck with yours! princess.gif

jnoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnoel Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 9

There's a great tutorial on cakeboss.com

http://www.cakeboss.com/CastleTutorial.aspx

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 12:13am
post #5 of 9

I used debbie swiss rolls for my turrets. I skewered them vertical and then covered in a very thin layer of buttercream and stuck the fondant to that. I'm always about things that are edible icon_smile.gif

dabear Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:40am
post #6 of 9

Cool. Thank-you for all the ideas!

dabear Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 9

That tutorial is great! Thank-you!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottedmeatchunks

I used debbie swiss rolls for my turrets. I skewered them vertical and then covered in a very thin layer of buttercream and stuck the fondant to that. I'm always about things that are edible icon_smile.gif

What a great idea!!! and they are strong enough to handle the fondant?

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:19pm
post #9 of 9

You have to make sure the buttercream smooths out the edges. The way I did mine was a stone effect so I put little globs of fondant on here and there. But if you want a more solid look, according to Debbie Brown you roll the fondant pretty thick to add structure to the turrets. I used 1 wood skewer down the middle and 2 toothpicks horizontal to keep each turret in place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%