Frosting Help Needed Read Fast! Please.

Decorating By momtofourmonkeys Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 2:00pm by PJ37

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 11

I am in the process of frosting a Chocolate WASC. I realized I was out of shortening this morning so I ran next door to a neighbors house to get some. No dice so I tried my only other neighbor (I live in the sticks). She had stick shortening so I took it and used it to make Chocolate fudge buttercream frosting. I tasted it before putting it on the cake and YUCK! So I smelled the remainder of the stick shortening and it smelled like the frosting tasted. I guess shortening can go bad? I have never had shortening in my house long enough for it to spoil so I didn't realize this could happen. My cake is now sitting on the counter ready to frost with no frosting to use.

Now here is my delimma, I have NO shortening and I used the last of my cocoa for the frosting disaster so NO cocoa! I have plenty butter, powdered sugar, etc but what frosting should I now go with for a chocolate wasc? I need help fast too. The cake is for my MIL who is getting back from a month long vacation out of state and we are all getting together tonight when she gets home. We are leaving in 4 1/2 hours for her house as she lives an hour away.

10 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 11

Shortening can go rancid just like oils can. Good thing you checked it before you put it on the cake.

I love this frosting on chocolate cake: http://southernfood.about.com/od/icingrecipes/r/bl50618m.htm I've never tried to decorate with it though, so not sure it will work for that, but it tastes great.

Howiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Howiesmom Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 11

I just adore chocolate cake with white buttercream icing. It's probably my favorite cake combo. Just make a buttercream minus the shortening. It'll taste fab!

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 11

Yikes!! I didn't know it could go bad either!

So I suppose you have no kind of chocolate what-so-ever? Like bars of chocolate? Then maybe you could make a ganache...

I would just do a vanilla or vanilla/almond bc - do you have butter?

momtofourmonkeys Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks, Texas Rose and Howiesmom for the quick responses.

I think I will give the Easy Penuche Frosting a try as soon as I serve my kids lunch and get the two littiest ones down for their nap. This recipe sounds delish!

BTW Texas Rose, I live in D'Hanis - about 60 miles west of you.

mom2leelee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2leelee Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 11

Do you have any liquers you could use?

What about come coffee and creamer?

What about maple syrup to make a maple flavoring? I have no idea if this would work?

Or caramel icecream topping added to the bc?

momtofourmonkeys Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

Yikes!! I didn't know it could go bad either!

So I suppose you have no kind of chocolate what-so-ever? Like bars of chocolate? Then you could melt it down & put it in the frosting...

I would just do a vanilla bc. I've had plenty of orders of chocolate cake with vanilla bc. Or maybe you could do a vanilla/almond bc.

Good luck!!

We posted at the same time. Thanks.

I do have baker's chocolates. Chips and bars, just no cocoa powder. If anyone has a quick recipe using these instead of powder and shortening I would be thankful. Otherwise I will use the recipe from Texas Rose.

My kids are almost done eating their spaghetti so I will be starting the frosting shortly. Oh, that is after I clean out my mixing bowl that still has the disaster in it.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 6:31pm
post #8 of 11

I made some icing last week using shortening that hadn't been opened, but had been in the back of my cabinet for awhile apparently. It didn't taste rancid, but no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to NOT taste too much of shortening. icon_razz.gif So yup... it can go bad.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 6:35pm
post #9 of 11

yeah,I had the shortening go bad. It turns yellow and smells horrible. Good luck with your cake. i'm sure they'll love it.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 6:35pm
post #10 of 11

yeah,I had the shortening go bad. It turns yellow and smells horrible. Good luck with your cake. i'm sure they'll love it.

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:00pm
post #11 of 11

This is probably too late, but try
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2357-0-7-Minute-Frosting.html

No shortening, easy to pipe borders with. See Santa cake in my photos for what it looks like.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%