What To Do If Fondant Cracks

Decorating By beamom Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 10:54am by Mike1394

beamom Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 15

I have docorated a cake this week and had to twice take of the fondant because it Kept cracking. why is this happing and what can i do to fix it? I use Satin Ice fondant. I also used eqq wash to make the fondant look shiny but they turned out to be a shhh.gif Please help me. I feel like I need to take classes on this all over again.

14 replies
TooMuchCake Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 15

How bad is the crack? If it's smallish, you can take a little royal icing in the same color and put a little of that on the crack and smooth it with your finger. I had to do that with a wedding cake for yesterday (the crack was in fresh fondant that happened when I was picking up the fondant to place it on the large cake), and have done it on competition pieces, too. It's hard to see it if you've smoothed the royal well.

HTH,
Deanna

beamom Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 15

great idea. the crack where smal to medium in various places. I will keep this in mind

sugarshack Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 2:40am
post #4 of 15

i think your fondnat is drying out when you roll it out?

i roll mine out on a silcone mat and flip it onto the cake; then peel the mat off.

it keeps the fondnat supple and moist and no cracking.

beamom Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 15

Great idea. I see now is the time to invest in a couple of those mats

poshcakedesigns Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 15

Depending on the size of the crack and where it's at on the cake you can also use a little bit of criso to help smooth it out and move the pieces back together.

toodlesjupiter Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 15

Sugarshack-
Where do you get silicone mats large enough for bigger cakes(not huge, just 12" round), and are they super expensive? TIA!

loriemoms Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 15

If you are not kneading it enough to begin with, it also will crack very easily. Its important to get it nice and soft and warm.

Did I read right, you are putting an egg wash over your fondant? May I ask why? Is that safe? If you want it shiny, I would instead either dust it or spray confectionors glaze on it. I would also think an egg wash would dry it out..

But I agree, the best fix is a little shortening..I keep a little tupperware of shortening in my emergency kit..

Juny1980 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:42pm
post #9 of 15

Hmmm..I wouldn't think of using egg wash to make the fondant shiny. I just finished watching Sharon Zambito's DVD on Flawless Fondant and she gives a great tip for shiny fondant....rub a small amount of Crisco shortening once you're done smoothing the cake out. The shortening will dry a little and you won't end up with a HUGE shine, but you'll have a good amount of shine. It leaves a nice polished look to the cake. I tried it this weekend and LOVE it. Thanks for the tip, Sharon!

~ Pedro

~ HAPPY BAKING ~

beamom Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks. I wanted to get the shiny look. May I ask if I can purchase the confectioner spray or make it. If you make it how is this done.

loriemoms Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:13pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by currine

Thanks. I wanted to get the shiny look. May I ask if I can purchase the confectioner spray or make it. If you make it how is this done.

The only place I have ever seen it is at chefrubber. Get the spray for on top of cakes..I use the liquid to add to dust to make it even more shinier.

Make sure you buy the wash too, as this is not washable with soap and water.

Have fun!

https://www.shopchefrubber.com/home.php?cat=1186

cakedout Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:30am
post #12 of 15

I've seen some people spray (airbrush) their fondant with vodka. Does that produce a shine, or simply eliminate any powdered sugar that is on the fondant?

beamom Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:59am
post #13 of 15

What instrument should I use to apply the sugar?

loriemoms Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:51am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedout

I've seen some people spray (airbrush) their fondant with vodka. Does that produce a shine, or simply eliminate any powdered sugar that is on the fondant?

It actually matts it a little....(it dries completly so no it doesnt give a shine.

Mike1394 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:54am
post #15 of 15

I wouldn't use the egg wash, if someone is actually going to eat it.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%