What Is The Best Fondant

Decorating By beamom Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 5:22pm by loriemoms

beamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beamom Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 16

I am trying to discover what is the best fondant to use for decorating. Can anyone help me? I also what to know where i could purchase the fondant. icon_smile.gif

15 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 16

I prefer Fondx. It's easy to work with and can be put in the frig (not super cold) which makes it nice if you use perishable fillings. Pricey though. I made mine when I can.

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 16

I use Satin Ice and I love it.

beamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beamom Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 16

where can I purchase?

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 16

I really like Satin Ice. It has a decent taste and nice, smooth finish. Global Sugar Art has it available. I also purchase mine locally at www.createacakeshop.com.

sweetcakes97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes97 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 16

I have used Wilton, Satin Ice and made my own. I hated wilton it doesn't taste very good and was harder to work with than Satin Ice. Satin Ice also tastes better. I think marshmallow fondant is the way to go, it is so much cheaper.

You can buy Satin Ice online, just google it and find the best price. Some speciality stores will carry it as well. Good luck!

Teresa75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teresa75 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:05pm
post #7 of 16

I personally like Satin Ice for most things. I also like pettinice's chocolate. It tastes like toostie rolls and is nice to work with

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:09pm
post #8 of 16

I like Fondx- I bought it at www.caljavaonline.com

I will say SatinIce is yummy too!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:25pm
post #9 of 16

Satin Ice is yummy easy to work with and smells incredible.....for Chocolate I like Pettinice.....

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:55pm
post #10 of 16

I like satin ice the best because even though MMF is cheaper, I hate the mess of making fondant. Plus the MMF has to be microwaved to be workable, and when you make figures out of it sometimes they will crack upon drying. Satin Ice will have to get pretty expensive before I ever switch back.

pinkbiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbiz Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:17pm
post #11 of 16

Satin Ice is the best! great to work with comes in a bunch of colors, i think its cheap and it tastes pretty good! i usually buy it at my local baking shop

pinkbiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbiz Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:19pm
post #12 of 16

wait let me correct myself its not cheap its less expensive .. jeje a 1lb plain white cost me about $9 and 5lb $17 now the color ones cost a little more

cakesbyjulie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjulie2 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:37pm
post #13 of 16

Metrocakes- What other products do you use from that site besides the Satin ice?

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:41pm
post #14 of 16

I use Fondx...it doesnt have the same vanillie flavor that Satin Ice has, which a lot of my brides complained about. They want to taste the cake. I also like Masse, but it is VERY expensive. I use it only for special special occassions. I also use a lot of rolling chocolate and mix it with the fondx. Is a very nice flavor!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:51pm
post #15 of 16

We use Massa Tacino, but when we can't get it, fondx is our go to fondant. Satin Ice somehow tastes heavy to me. Bakels is my second favorite, but is tough to locate aat a reasonable price around here. Since its from Australia, it may be cheaper on the west coast.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:22pm
post #16 of 16

btw, Fondx is actualy a little cheaper then Satin Ice...I think a lot of people think its more because it comes in 10 lb and not 20 lb. But I was paying 45 for the 20 lbs of Satin Ice and I now pay 21 for 10 lbs of Fondx.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%