Help Fondant Dry Faster...?

Decorating By OCakes Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 2:08pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

OCakes Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 7:10am
post #1 of 17

I have some thinly rolled fondant which has been sitting for about 2 hours. I need it to be firm in the next 8hrs - is that enough time? Would a blow dryer speed-up the process? Or rubbing some corn starch on the back? (however it's yellow, so I don't want to ruin the color). I'm so annoyed that I didn't start this earlier, but I took on a little too much this week! Thank you!

16 replies
MnSnow Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:45pm
post #2 of 17

If you have a food dehydrater put it in there. Another option would be in your oven with the light on

loriemoms Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnSnow

If you have a food dehydrater put it in there. Another option would be in your oven with the light on

I have a friend who SWEARS by the dehydrater is the best thing in the word for drying fondant! I usually just put a fan on my mine and it seems to dry faster.

mamacc Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 17

I agree, the food dehydrator works best! I'm always leaving things till the last minute....also kneading in extra gum tex or tylose really helps!

janelwaters Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 17

how much gum tex do you ad to the fondant is there a ratio. I bought the precolored fondant from wilton they are 4.4oz each - how much gum tex should I put in 1/2 tsp 1 tsp - more??? HELP!! I have to make a fisherman and I really want to start tonight.

Sorry I'm hijacking this thread!

mclaren Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:31pm
post #6 of 17

bump...

i too, would like to know the answer to janelwaters' ques. thanks!!

janelwaters Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:43pm
post #7 of 17

I watched Aine2's tutorial on preparing her sugar paste, she says that she uses 1/2 tsp of tylose (assuming Gum Tex can substitute) per 250g on sugar paste.

The Wilton colors say that the whole package is 499g. (@125g per individual color) - so - using all the useless math that i learned in school - i used 1/4 tsp of gum tex.

Since no one responded, i just made assumptions and winged it. I did it last night and I haven't had time this morning to see if it worked.

I will let you know later this afternoon - but in the meantime - if anyone know the "proper" answer - please let us know!!

Thank you so much!!

mclaren Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 17

janelwaters, can't wait to know how your fondant turns out!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:38pm
post #9 of 17

any other suggestions other than the food dehydrator? my fondant accents are melting! I have tried the fan and it didn't work. it's not even hot tonight. i have them in the fridge right now hoping they would firm up. my problem would be after I take them out of the fridge and the begin to get to room temp. what to do then? icon_sad.gif

does storing the fondant in a cardboard box really help them dry? or will storing them in an air tight container help?

janelwaters Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:49pm
post #10 of 17

I don't think putting it in the fridge is a good idea - I always understood that leaving it out in the air will help it dry, airtight will keep it moist -

am i wrong???

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:22pm
post #11 of 17

no you're right. but the weather here has been wacky all week. sunny one minute, rainy the next. i wanna pull all my hair out. argh.

janelwaters Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:45pm
post #12 of 17

I am so sorry - our weather has been like that too!

I am about to go start modeling with my gum texed fondant! I will let you know how it goes shortly!!

janelwaters Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:10pm
post #13 of 17

AND THE VERDICT IS IN!!!

my fondant was a little bit gritty, so maybe I just used a little bit too much but HOLY COW!! What a difference! it really is drying very well. I am so excited!

I have already put my whole character together except for the head and it is mostly dry.

If you were using pieces that were rolled thin, they would dry in NO TIME!

mclaren Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:22am
post #14 of 17

janelwaters, how much gumtex you've added to how much fondant?

sorry, i don't understand your post above, on the wilton colors...

janelwaters Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:29am
post #15 of 17

sorry! at michael's they sell a 4 pack of wilton fondant that is precolored. The package says that the total weight of all 4 is 499g (I rounded up to 500) - so basically I used @ 1/4 tsp gum tex for every 125g of fondant.

(Aine2 used 1/2 tsp of tylose for every 250g of fondant)

hope that helps!

mclaren Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:35am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelwaters

sorry! at michael's they sell a 4 pack of wilton fondant that is precolored. The package says that the total weight of all 4 is 499g (I rounded up to 500) - so basically I used @ 1/4 tsp gum tex for every 125g of fondant.

(Aine2 used 1/2 tsp of tylose for every 250g of fondant)

hope that helps!

ok, thanks!! that certainly clears my confusion. thanks for sharing the outcome!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:08pm
post #17 of 17

janel, that's great news! i need to get my hands on some tylose powder then icon_smile.gif thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%