Buttercream Crumb Layer Refrigeration?

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 3:34pm by indydebi

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:57am
post #1 of 6

I have a few questions regarding buttercream:
1. I have a pudding filling in between my cake layers so I know that it needs refrigeration until serving. How do you store your cake after you have applied the crumb layer (i.e. wrap it in saran wrap, store in tupperware, nothing, etc.)?
2. How far in advance can you make the crumb layer? (I applied the crumb layer on Saturday night and plan on decorating it on Monday. Did I do the crumb layer too early?)
3. If I didn't have a filling which required refrigeration, what is the protocol for buttercream crumb layers? (i.e. do I keep it at room temperature after I have applied the final layer of frosting?)
4. Is there a different protocol with buttercream recipes with shortening (i.e Wilton's recipe) vs. buttercream recipes with butter & milk?

Thank you so much for your input!

5 replies
Lorendabug Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:17am
post #2 of 6

If it has dairy in it, it has to be refrigerated.

I will store my cakes in the frig in my cake carrier if they are small. For larger cakes I put them in a cake box, just to make sure that nothing drops on them until they are picked up.

If I have a tight schedule I will crumb coat the night before. If there is a filling other than buttercream I don't like it to sit around too long.

JoAnnB Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:56am
post #3 of 6

With a pudding filling, you may have started too early. It tends to absorb into the cake.

SeriousCakes Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 6

Here's another thread where we're talking about whether or not bc needs to be refrigerated:

Only if your filling is perishable does your cake need to be refrigerated. I never put my cakes in the fridge, even when I'm doing a crumb coat. I let the crumb coat crust over then put the final coat on.
Hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for your replies. I will check out all the links. Looks like I may have a soggy pudding cake by Monday. icon_sad.gif

indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 6

since I use a good crusting BC, I crumb coat minutes before applying the final icing coat. I crumb coat one tier ... set it aside as I crumb coat the next tier. By the time I'm done with the 2nd tier, the first one is ready to be iced. I usually crumb coat all 3 or 4 tiers, then immediately start icing them. Otherwise, I just leave them in the freezer until it's time to crumb them. Since it only takes minutes to thaw a cake, I only have to take them out of the freezer about 30 minutes before I start to work on them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%