Important Feedback

Decorating By laynie72 Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 3:40pm by jammjenks

laynie72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laynie72 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:36am
post #1 of 14

Hi
I would love if everyone that reads this and has a little time can go see my pictures and seriously give them a good/ bad thumbsdown.gifthumbs_up.gif review, let me know any thoughts where do I need to improve etc. I want to know what can I do to get better.
Ask me any questions if you need to know anything.
Thank you very much, all comments are very much appreciated!

icon_smile.gif

13 replies
Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:58am
post #2 of 14

Everything looks fab! I just hope I can be that good soon!! icon_biggrin.gif

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:26am
post #3 of 14

Do you have your settings set so that you can receive comments on your photos? When I first started posting, mine were accidentally set to not allow comments, so nobody could say a word. I kept wondering why everyone was so oddly silent....

A kind person sent me a PM and let me know and I figured out how to fix it. I'm wondering if you have the same issue. It seems odd that so many people saved your amazing carved race horse cake as a fave and no one made a comment....

Your work is just beautiful. Does NOT look like the work of a beginner to me! Very creative stuff. Your horse and your roses and that lotus thingy are all just stunning. If you carved that horse free-hand, you're a master. Even if you didn't, you found a way to achieve that look extremely effectively. Lovely job. Also, I need you to come to my house and show me how to make some gumpaste roses. (How does next Tuesday sound?)

The only 2 things I noticed that detracted at all from the professional gorgeous-ity of your cakes (and I'm just nit-pickin', here, because I always prefer to get at least one comment that tells me something BESIDES "you're FABULOUS!!!!" (which you actually are, but to continue...) were that sometimes your fondant (or buttercream? not entirely sure)"background" did not look perfectly smooth to me. And while I thought it was a very original and clever idea to have the letters on toothpicks stuck in the side of the cake, the holes bothered me (I had the same problem when I tried to stick "leaping sheep" into the side of a cake I did... NOT a pretty outcome!)

But to reiterate, your work is LOVELY!!!!!

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 14

Your horse is fantastic!! I am more of a buttercream girl myself, but I did notice what endymion pointed out about the fondant not always being super smooth. I don't know how to fix that because I could count the number of fondant covered cakes I've made on one hand icon_rolleyes.gif Your fondant loopy bow is awesome too, btw.

The only other thing I noticed is sometimes your color schemes throw me for a loop. For instance, your baby carrier and bear cake has lots of cute pastels, but my eye wants to focus on the red flower.

Keep up the good work thumbs_up.gif

laynie72 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 14

Thank you for your feedback I will check my settings about the comments in my pictures.
I am trying to get better at both fondant and butter cream, almost every time my cakes look better when just finish but they slouch once some time passes, I do not know how to fix that, maybe by putting less filling?

Thank you so much again for your comments, If you see more stuff feel free to let me know!

laynie72 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 14

endymion- I just check my settings and I did have the comments off for some reason, not sure how I did it they were on at some point o well... now everyone can leave me feedbacks. go ahead do not be shy!
Thanks!

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 14

I agree I really don't like the look of the toothpicks - doesn't look like something you would get from a bakery but other than that GREAT JOB.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynie72

Thank you for your feedback I will check my settings about the comments in my pictures.
I am trying to get better at both fondant and butter cream, almost every time my cakes look better when just finish but they slouch once some time passes, I do not know how to fix that, maybe by putting less filling?

Thank you so much again for your comments, If you see more stuff feel free to let me know!

I think that the way to avoid that slouching look is to fill it and then let it settle for a few hours before you frost it. I've noticed that cakes I do that way don't have that problem, and cakes where I get impatient and have to put the fondant on as soon as the cake is filled (usually the ones I'm really excited about doing, I just can't wait) will get that sort of ridged look on the sides. Also, I think not using enough support in the bottom tier can do it too, or cutting the dowels a tiny bit too short.

Your horse cake is amazing. Your gumpaste flowers are incredible, too...would you share how you made the one on your Grandma's birthday cake?

For the toothpicks that others were mentioning, if you want to give your letters a 3D effect, you could "glue" fondant balls on the backs before you stick them on the cake.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:43pm
post #9 of 14

I think your designs are great! You definitely have an eye & talent for cakes thumbs_up.gif ! Just what everyone said with the smoothness of your fondant is all I can see.

mandm78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandm78 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:02pm
post #10 of 14

I checked out your photos....I think they are great. Love your horse cake. I agree with everything that has been said so far. But your on the right track to making spectacular cakes.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:10pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynie72

Are you using a stiff BC dam between the layers to help hold the filling in? As for the fondant not being smooth is your BC completely smooth underneath it? It helps to let the cake settle after filling, apply BC, smooth and refrigerate to firm up before applying fondat. Sugar shack has a DVD on BC and fondant that have helped me tremendously. Very detailed and inexpensive.

Your designs are fantastic, keep up the good work!

laynie72 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:05am
post #12 of 14

Thank you for all your suggestions I will follow each of them next time because:
-I am not letting the cakes set.
-I am not using a stiff BC dam between the layers
-My BC is not very smooth before fondant.
- I have tried Sugar shack's BC but It wasn't as creamy as hers and I had lots of air in it I⦠think I needed a little more of liquid? or maybe it was beat too long? I am going to get both of her DVd's

Texas_Rose
I am going to take pics of the template I made for that flower and I will PM you the instructions, I am so trilled you like my flower icon_biggrin.gif

I enjoy reading a comment when somebody likes my cakes but I love hear what is not well done about them since I do not think a customer will flat out tell me what is wrong... ( cross my fingers)

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:27pm
post #13 of 14

You wont be disappointed with sugarshack's DVD. I just recently watched them and she is amazing. Each step is detailed and you can always pm her here if you have questions.
Would you also send me the template and instructions for your flower, I love it. TIA

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:40pm
post #14 of 14

I left you a comment on each of your cakes. I didn't read the replies here until after I commented. I have the same crituques as the above CCers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%