Best Ever Blueberry Muffins??

Lounge By TexasSugar Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 8:36pm by michellenj

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:28am
post #1 of 12

Does anyone have it? HeHe!

I have alot of blueberries in the freezer and want to start using them up. I thought what better way than blueberry muffins. I use them in pancakes when my nephew is in the mood for them, but I think the muffins would be good too.

I know there are hundreds of recipe websites out there and I am sure millions of recipes for them, but I was hoping for some tried and true, "this is the only recipe I ever use for them" kinda of recipes.

Anyone want to share theirs??

11 replies
TexasSugar Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 12

No one makes Blueberry Muffins? icon_cry.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 12

I have a good one, I just need to find it.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 12

I have a fabulous ( I think) muffin recipe. It's moist and has a great texture. I use it as a base for all the muffin flavors I make. Some examples are blueberry, orange or lemon poppy seed, cranberry, strawberry, etc. My kids favorite is chocolate chip (of course). Anyway, here it is:

Muffins
2/3 C sugar
1/4t salt
3/4t baking soda
3/4t baking powder
1 1/2C flour
1C frozen or fresh blueberries
5T melted butter
1T vanilla
1C sour cream
1 egg
Mix together dry ingredients in a bowl then gently stir in blueberries. Make a well in the center. In a separate bowl, stir together wet ingredients until well combined. Pour wet mixture in the well in dry ingredients. Gently fold just until combined. Fill muffin tins, then sprinkle the topping on top.
Topping
1/3C flour
2T sugar
2T cold butter
Mix with fork until crumbly.
Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.

Enjoy! icon_biggrin.gif

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 12

OH those sound very good!! I wish I had one to share for you but I don't! HOpefully you will get some more recipes but the one that was posted sounds very good!

michellenj Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 12

Here is mine:

2 c. all purpose flour
1 TBSP baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large egg
1 c. white sugar
4 TBSP butter , melted and cooled slightly
1 1/4 c. sour cream
1 1/2 c. blueberries

Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt in bowl until combined. In a second bowl, whisk egg until well combined and light colored. Add sugar and whisk vigorously until thick and homogenous, about 30 seconds. Add butter in 2 or 3 additions, whisking to combine between batches. Add sour cream in 2 batches, whisking just to combine.

Add berries to the dry ingredients and gently toss to combine. Add sour cream mixture and fold with rubber spatula just to combine.

Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:00am
post #7 of 12

Jjkarm, how do you make them orange and lemon? Zest and Lemon/Orange extract??

Both recipes sound yummy and I think I may have enough sour cream on hand to try them this week.

One more quick questions, how many muffins do your recipes make? I am planning on having some family to a taste test for me with these recipes and a couple others I have found so I'm just curious how many muffins I'll get from the recipe.

Thanks so much!!

michellenj Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:07pm
post #8 of 12

Mine makes 12, and is originally from Cook's Illustrated.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 6:38pm
post #9 of 12

TexasSugar - I meant to get back to you sooner, but just when you think you have things figured out....life happens! icon_confused.gif Anyway, my recipe also makes a dozen muffins. Here are the changes you asked about.

Lemon poppy seed muffins:
Add 1T poppy seeds to the flour mixture. Replace the vanilla with 1t lemon extract and add the lemon zest of one lemon.
I do a different topping: In a sauce pan combine 1/2C sugar and 1/4C lemon juice. Heat until the sugar is dissolved. When the muffins are hot (right after they come out of the oven) take a bamboo skewer and poke holes all over the muffins. Then brush the lemon sauce over the tops - use all of the lemon sauce. (It soaks down inside the muffins) Let cool.

Orange poppy muffins:
Add 1 T poppy seeds to the flour mixture. Use 1t vanilla instead of 1T. Cut the sour cream down to 1/2C, add 1/2C orange juice, then add 1T orange zest. If you want a stronger orange flavor you can add some orange extract. Also if you want the color to be orange then you need to add a little food coloring.
Again, I change the topping and make an orange spread:
1/2C softened butter, 1C powdered sugar, 1T orange zest. You can either spread this on top of the cooled muffins or use it like a butter when serving them.

Hope this helps, let me know how it turns out.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 6:43pm
post #10 of 12

I got this recipe off the old Food Network boards. It's delicious!

BLUEBERRY CREAM MUFFINS

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup veg. oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sour cream
1 cup lemon yogurt
3 cups blueberries
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract

In a mixing bowl,beat eggs untill frothy . Add sugar slowly add beat untill thick and light about 5 min. slowly pour in the oil and the vanilla and lemon extract.. combine dry ingredients and add alternatly with sour cream and yogurt.fold in blueberries.

cream cheese mixture

1 8 oz cream cheese softened
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar
dash salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
mix till smooth. use a texas size muffin pan lined with paper. fill muffin half full with batter add a table spoonful of cream cheese mixture and then tablespoon of batter on top of cream cheese .bake at 350 for 20-25 min or untill golden brown

ENJOY!! these are great without the cream cheese filling too!

TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 8:19pm
post #11 of 12

Michellenj, jjkarm, and kelleym... Thank you!! icon_biggrin.gif

They all sound good and I can't wait to try them. I think I'll be up to my elbows in muffins this weekend. Hopefully I can find some room in the freezer to store some for breakfasts to come. HeHe.

michellenj Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 8:36pm
post #12 of 12

Kelley's recipe sounds great. Lemon yogurt, sour cream, and cream cheese....if only it had a stick or 2 of butter in there...it would be perfect. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%