Help!! Fondant Question.

Decorating By lizadams Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 1:38am by msulli10

lizadams Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:22am
post #1 of 4

Hey can anyone help me? I am doing a baby shower cake for 100 people and want to do it early in the week which it is due that Saturday of that week. What I was wondering is Since it will be a hummingbird cake with cream cheese icing I know it has to be refridgerated, but I am covering it with Fondant. Will the Fridge mess up the fondant??, since I have heard to not to put fondant in the refridgerator. Thanks for you help! liz with Denas Sweet Delights

3 replies
laynie72 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:47am
post #2 of 4

I'm not sure you should but I did it, I had to put one of my cakes in the fridge, I was doing a 3D horse that I have never done and I was scared of doing something wrong and having to start all over...I bake it 2 weeks before cover it in fondant and work on it little by little, I would refrigerate it every day after working on it. It was very sticky when out of the fridge so I would take it out in the morning let it dry and then kept working on it. ( it takes good 2 hrs or more to dry) you can see a picture in my photos.

lizadams Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:21am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynie72

I'm not sure you should but I did it, I had to put one of my cakes in the fridge, I was doing a 3D horse that I have never done and I was scared of doing something wrong and having to start all over...I bake it 2 weeks before cover it in fondant and work on it little by little, I would refrigerate it every day after working on it. It was very sticky when out of the fridge so I would take it out in the morning let it dry and then kept working on it. ( it takes good 2 hrs or more to dry) you can see a picture in my photos.

Thanks for your comment. Yea, this is going to be a big cake. I am doing a firetruck, firehydrant, and fire dog all sitting on a big 16 in round cake. So I have a lot to do. You do a great job on cakes by the way!
Liz with Dena's Sweet delights

msulli10 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:38am
post #4 of 4

I always put my fondant covered cakes in the fridge without a problem. If it's really humid out, there will be some slight condensation, but (thankfully) I haven't had any disasters.....yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%