Very Frustrated!!!

Decorating By andysprite Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 3:11am by all4cake

andysprite Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:24am
post #1 of 11

I've been working on a cake ALL DAY that was supposed to be a simple, basic buttercream cake. Nothing is going my way at all! I can't get my buttercream smooth. My piping looks terrible and I can't figure out what to put on the top of the cake to make it look nice. Any suggestions?
My friend that ordered the cake said that I can pretty much do whatever but she didn't want any fondant. So, I have a naked, lumpy sheetcake sitting here that needs some serious help. Please help me!

10 replies
fiddlesticks Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:28am
post #2 of 11

what icing recipe did you use and whats the cake for ?

andysprite Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:33am
post #3 of 11

The cake is for a housewarming party. I used indydebi's buttercream recipe, but I was out of dream whip....I substituted coffee creamer. I have to drop this cake off first thing in the morning on our way to church. So...I'd like to have this done tonight so I can sleep peacefully. icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:35am
post #4 of 11

Did you let the icing crust and then use a viva towel to smooth it ? Or are you way past that and its crusted by now ?

tiggy2 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:38am
post #5 of 11

Coffee creamer wont work as a subsitute for the dream whip. You may be able to smooth it with a bench scraper dipped in boiling water (wipe dry before touching cake).

jen9936 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:44am
post #6 of 11

I think it would be cute to decorate the entire cake to look like a door to a house, maybe with a wreath or a sign saying "welcome". icon_smile.gif

feliciangel Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:45am
post #7 of 11

If you need inspiration check out Cakery's profile she awesome sheet cakes

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-Cakery.html

sorry I cant help with the butter cream..... can you find a cute image and maybe do a FBCT...Wish I could help more

andysprite Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:51am
post #8 of 11

Thanks so much for the input. I am out of paper towels but used parchment paper and a paint roller. It doesn't help that it's so stinkin' hot and humid here today. I've never had so much trouble with my buttercream though. If she hadn't specified "no fondant" I'd be tempted to cover up this mess I've made. icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:54am
post #9 of 11

Try to stay calm the photos you have posted are just beautiful !

dldbrou Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:05am
post #10 of 11

I would maybe try to make a house from something (candy, chocolate, fondant, rice Krispies, etc.) then do a landscaping around the house. Or you could make the entire sheetcake a huge WELCOME mat.

all4cake Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:11am
post #11 of 11

jen9936
The door idea is great! I'd like to use that(one day...)idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%