Fbct

Decorating By something_sweet Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 6:08pm by becklynn

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:39am
post #1 of 10

I just did my first FBCT! It turned out ok, I had some problems with the black bleeding a little, and a leg fell off then I was transferring it. But overall it was ok. I have to do this again next week for a cake that has a bunch of fairy tale characters on it! Anyone have any tips that may make it easier (and prettier)? Thanks!!!

9 replies
something_sweet Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:50am
post #2 of 10

Oh, one more thing, my transfers stick up off of the cake and are pretty obvious... is there a way that I can avoid this and make it look smoother? I just uploaded a picture of the cake into my photos (Incredibles) if you wanna take a look. Thanks again!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 10:06am
post #3 of 10

Looks good nice job

Mike

Dana8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana8 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 11:13am
post #4 of 10

The cake looks fantastic, what is FBCT and are there instructions on how to do it? Thanks Dana

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 11:37am
post #5 of 10

There was a workshop at a local cake shop years ago called "buttercream flip" where you actually make the entire top of your cake at one time.
It has to be on a cardboard the same size as the top of your cake. After I put a some white (or your top color) around the drawing I use a tip 1D to lay strips of icing over the entire drawing. Tip 1D looks like a large basketweave so you need to lay the icing with the smooth side DOWN. Then I have another peice of wax paper covered cardboard the same size as my cake and press it down on to the icing. So you have what looks like a cardboard and icing sandwich. You can turn it over and remove the first cardboard so you are looking at your design through the wax paper. You can do additional smoothing with your fingers and pop any air bubble with a pin. Then freeze overnight. I fill my cake and ice the sides, then when I'm ready for the transfer I turn it back over and remove the cardboard and wax paper from the bottom and turn it over onto my cake. Remove the other cardboard but don't remove the wax paper yet because you can still use it to move your transfer in case it's crooked. Then peel off the wax paper. It will soften first so it's too sticky to smooth but once it starts to crust I use a viva paper towel to smooth. Then I can add add the writing or other details.
Look at some of my cakes to see how smooth this method comes out. Let me know if I can clairfy anything. Good luck!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana8

The cake looks fantastic, what is FBCT and are there instructions on how to do it? Thanks Dana

. . . here ya go . . . http://www.cakecentral.com/article12-How-To-Create-a-Frozen-Buttercream-Transfer.html

something_sweet Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 12:26am
post #7 of 10

Thanks Becklynn!!! That is perfect, and I will do this next week when I do my other cake!

becklynn Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 2:30pm
post #8 of 10

Great-please PM me if need more info or advice!
Becky

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:19pm
post #9 of 10

your cake looks good.

is it okay to make FBCT WITHOUT the black outline though?

becklynn Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 10

Yes, you can use any color for the outline. You just need something to hold your colors in. I've done a baby shower cake where I didn't want any black on it and used a pale gray. Or just whatever color you're filling with. For instance a green Care Bear with no outline showing: Just outline and fill with the same color green and it will blend together.
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%