Need Advise On How To Pull This Off ...

Decorating By catin Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 3:18am by Kim040508

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 11

My Husband came to me this weekend with a quick sketch of the Cake he would like me to make for our son. He will be turning 6 on August 2nd . We are holding his Party at the local Go-Karting place .

I need help with how I could possibly pull this off .

I attached the sketch for you to see .

Any advise or ideas would be greatly appreciated ..
LL
LL

10 replies
catin Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 11

Sorry about the double picture post .... Still trying to used to the functions on my new comp . icon_razz.gif

catin Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:24am
post #3 of 11

Anyone .... anything .... Please !!!

weefoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weefoot Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:51am
post #4 of 11

I would bake 2 9x13 and stack then I would carve it. I would probably make the higher back brace out of fondant or gumpaste. Or you could probably cover a piece of cardboard with the fondant. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 11

I'm with weefoot on this one. Look online for some more detailed pics of the cars. That might help you get a better idea of proportions. Hubby did a good job with his drawing, but I know if it were me, I would do better with a more realistic 3-D picture in color. HTH. Let us know how it goes and feel free to ask more questions along the way!!
Teresa

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 11

I'm with weefoot on this one. Look online too for some more detailed pics of the cars. That might help you get a better idea of proportions. Hubby did a good job with his drawing, but I know if it were me, I would do better with a more realistic, 3-D color picture. HTH. Good luck, let us know how it goes and feel free to ask more questions along the way!!
Teresa

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 11

If it were me, I would made 2 13x9s - stack them and make a go-kart track out of it. Then if you could find little go-karts or even Hot Wheels type cars to put on the cake. If you could label each car for a guest at the birthday party, there's one favor for each kid! Then when the cake is cut, each kid would get a piece with his car on it.
Or you could make a larger sheet cake, and frost it like a track. Make cuppies look like cars and put them on the "track."
I love kids birthdays, so hopefully I might have given you some ideas!! Good luck! icon_smile.gif

catin Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 11

WOO HOO !!! I finished it . It was a challenge but I learnt alot from this one .

I will attached them as soon as i figure out how to minimize the size of the pics , like that they can fit on here ..LOL

Julie

catin Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:26pm
post #9 of 11

There we go .. I figured out how to post the pictures ....and minimize the size ...

Here they are ... Plz tell me what you think .. What I need to improve on and so on and so forth ... I'm opened to any critisium

icon_razz.gif Julie
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:23am
post #10 of 11

You put a lot of detail in your creationicon_smile.gif It shows thru that it was a labor of love!
About the only thing I would suggest is trying to get the icing on a bit thicker so you don't see cake coming thru. OR maybe it's crumbs I see. if so, then cover the cake 1st w/a thin layer of icing to seal in the crumbs, allow it to dry to touch (usually only a few minutes) before adding the finial coating.

Kim040508 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim040508 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:18am
post #11 of 11

Cute cake!! I have found that when using buttercream it helps to put the cake in the freezer for an hour or so, and then frost right after you take it out. The frosting seems to spread a little better. That will get rid of some of the crumbs. (Just a little tip I have found that works for me.) Your cake looks really close to the little toy you have there. Good work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%