Trick For Tiny Stars & Hearts

Decorating By kyhendry Updated 30 Jan 2010 , 2:47am by Loucinda

kyhendry Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 22

I'm not sure if anyone's posted about this before but I'm doing a cake with show girls coming out of a top hat and the book shows tiny stars on the boobs (like 1/4" or smaller). I had no idea how I was going to do this.

I saw those cheap plastic shape punchers used for scrapbooking (they have a metal die that punches down) at Michaels for $1.00 up near the registers. I thought I'd try them and if they didn't work I wouldn't be out much.

I rolled some gum paste very thin and let it sit out for a minute or so to get rid of the stickiness and slid the gum paste into the opening on the punch and out popped a tiny little star with no sticking and no fighting a cutter!

I was so excited I tried the heart one and made about 50 of each...I only needed 6 stars. lol party.gif

Just thought I'd share in case you ever need to do the same.

21 replies
kuki Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 22

Thsnk you to share... I have a teddy bear and a flower. i will be trying some time.

wgoat5 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:39am
post #3 of 22

That's a awesome idea!!!! Thanks for the tip! Will be using it soon icon_smile.gif

milissasmom Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:53am
post #4 of 22

What a great idea! I usually use this method with my Tappits as well (rolling thin gumpaste and letting it dry for a bit) and it works well. Glad it works for other things as well!!

mgdsue02 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:54am
post #5 of 22

I shop at Michaels all the time. I will have to look for those! I know the cake you are talking about...I have two of those books.

playingwithsugar Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:04am
post #6 of 22

Someone here mentioned this a long, long time ago, along with using a Cricut with GP the same way, but they never mentioned how the GP worked in the Cricut machine.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

armywifebryan Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 22

I had never though of even trying that!!! I have TONS of those punches. A lot of them are for making paper flowers, too! icon_wink.gif I also have a cricut sitting down there in the basement collecting dusts as we speak. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif I just might have to take a stroll down to the basement and see what all I can use for my cakes. icon_biggrin.gif Thanks sooo much for telling! I'll let you know if I come up with any other "dual uses". lol

Teresa

Jocmom Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:38pm
post #8 of 22

I've looked at other punches and wondered if they would work, but was too chicken to spend the $$ to find out that it would just gum up the punch. Thanks for trying this out and sharing . . . and thanks for letting us know where to find $1 punches.

kyhendry Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 12:18am
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocmom

I've looked at other punches and wondered if they would work, but was too chicken to spend the $$ to find out that it would just gum up the punch.

Yeah - for a buck who cares if it gums up huh? I was also in the clay section at a hobby lobby and they had silicone molds of flowers and rocks and leaves for clay but instead of $25-$30 they were $8-$10. I might try them out and see if they work as well as the other types of silicone molds.

poshcakedesigns Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:29pm
post #10 of 22

I had wondered if that would work but never tried it. Glad to know it does work.

kyhendry Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:54pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdsue02

I know the cake you are talking about...I have two of those books.

I finished my first try of those showgirls that I used the tiny stars on. I thought I better put the pix on the naughty page just to be safe but if you want to take a look...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1244118

Take care.

tiggy2 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:58pm
post #12 of 22

OMG those are so cute!

keyshia Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:08pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah - for a buck who cares if it gums up huh? I was also in the clay section at a hobby lobby and they had silicone molds of flowers and rocks and leaves for clay but instead of $25-$30 they were $8-$10. I might try them out and see if they work as well as the other types of silicone molds.

I don't know why it wouldn't work...The gun I use is for clay and from what I've read on here, it works better than many others! icon_smile.gif Let me know if you try it, I'd be interested.

fiddlesticks Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:28pm
post #14 of 22

kyhendry.. those are so cute !

Nicolle711 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:31pm
post #15 of 22

Very Cute! Thanks for the tip and your "girls" look great! thumbs_up.gif

kyhendry Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:07pm
post #16 of 22

Thanks everyone. I've never made people before and this week was my first week working with gumpaste (love Nicholas Lodge's recipe!!!). I'll let you know if using the clay molds for items works - don't see why not.

Kathleen

zarinajan Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 9:43pm
post #17 of 22

I've seen a flickr member using the punches for her cake and cupcakes,here is the link of her cupcakes n cake pic.

http:[email protected]/2580258264/
http:[email protected]/2301525523/
http:[email protected]/1453133980/
http:[email protected]/1292491403/
http:[email protected]/1270033474/

as you can see,she is using butterfly,helicopter n dragonfly shape punches,its beautiful!

gabbycakes Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 9:55pm
post #18 of 22

I used to work at a rubber stamp store (in a previous life, LOL!) and we had a customer who was always coming in and buying the punches--she told us she used them to punch shapes out of fondant all the time.

I barely knew what fondant was back then....I can't wait to try the idea now!

frankdiabetes Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 10:40pm
post #19 of 22

Chiming in a little late here, but I used this idea and it worked so brilliantly that I had to thank the OP! I did a coin cake topper and needed 48 teeny tiny 1/4" stars and the aspic cutter I'd gotten was way too big. I was stumped for awhile until I came across this. Thank you thank you thank you!

bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 10:59pm
post #20 of 22

I use the larger paper punches for my chocolate transfer sheets. They're awesome on cookies! icon_lol.gif

ayerim979 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:14pm
post #21 of 22

OMG !!

Your show girls are awsome. Im envious of the great buzms lol !!!!

Loucinda Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:47am
post #22 of 22

You show girls are great!! There was a demo at ICES about using the punches - she even used the ones that you would use along the whole edge of a sheet of paper, just used the fondant or gumpaste instead. Great for the bottom edges of your fondant work on a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%