An Idea, What Do You Think?

Business By jnestor Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 12:55am by jnestor

jnestor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnestor Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 15

I posted this on the myspace group, and I wanted to post it over here, and get your input. Let me know what you all think. Thanks!

I am in the process of putting together a picture book with my cakes with a self publisher, and this idea came to me, and I wanted to see what yaâll thought. Iâve read many, many cake decorating books, and they are all famous bakers, but not the average cake decorators, and then I got to thinking why not put together a book of different cake decorators cakes. To make it quite simple without chatting for hours. I would open up the opportunity on cake central for an individual to put 1 of their favorite cakes, and instructions how to make that cake. After everything is gathered Iâll put them into a book. Those who participate will get a copy discounted, and also can get more to sell in their cakes stores, etc. What do yaâll think? Is it a good idea or no? Its just been floating in my mind, and if people would be interested, I would love to get it started. Thanks!!

14 replies
pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 15

i thnk that it would be a great idea...

let me know if you want me to write something for you i would be honored...

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 15

I think it is a cool idea...reminds me of the group collected cookbooks I've participated in before. Everyone buys a copy to pay for the printing usually.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 15

I think it's a cute idea. I'd be interested in participating.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 15

What a fun idea !

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 15

Cool!

stacyt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyt Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 15

I think its a great idea!

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 15

What a cool idea! I think it'd be soooo cool to be "published!"

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:42pm
post #9 of 15

I've been wanting one of my cakes in a book for a while now! I would also be interested!
Where do you plan on marketing them at?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:57pm
post #10 of 15

Where do the profits go?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:12am
post #11 of 15

Like I told you on myspace, cute idea! Let me know if you plan on cupcakes!

Superstar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Superstar2 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:13am
post #12 of 15

Neat idea. Maybe you can have different chapters showing the different levels of cake decorators. I would imagin that would give a beginner inspiration. I know I would apperciate a book showing a person who is self taught beginner, someone in the middle and then a pro. Various degree's of cake decorating. Count me in.

jnestor Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:19am
post #13 of 15

There is no profit at least on my end, unless you increase the price sell the book though your own means if you want to sell the book for a profit. I use two sites for self publishing. Both sites have a set amount they charge per book, and its up to you if you just want to buy the book, or upcharge and turn around and sell it. As far as marketing for contributers I was thinking our cake central community?!

I have some ideas that need to be ironned out, but once I have everything together I'll put together a way for the contributors to talk, and participate.

The reasoning for all of this is that I am grassroots type of person. I love to see people work together, and really put together something nice that wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity. I have no problem organizing everything with the book, and how awesome would it be to say yea, I contributed to a book. Just a thought.

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:28am
post #14 of 15

Neat idea! I'm interested.

jnestor Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:55am
post #15 of 15

I put together a yahoo group because you can exchange files, and such over there. Either tonight or tomorrow, I'll post a form to participate on the group site. Make sure to join the group!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cakebook

PM if you need an invite to join in case my link doesn't work.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%