Please Help Me ?

Decorating By cerobs Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 11:02pm by cerobs

cerobs Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 23

I deliver a wedding cake today and when I was putting it together I notice my tiers was tripping I stay there for two hours working on the cake and I did I my best try to correct the issue. First I will never tryed to torte and filled a cake again. So I was on my way to another event for a customer and I received a phoned called from the mother of the bride she was shouting , and named calling (You Black this) and cussing that the cake was falling off. She ask for a full refund of the cake. What should I do.
LL

22 replies
poshcakedesigns Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:42am
post #2 of 23

How many dowels did you have in the cake or what type of support system did you use? Did you wrap or use wax cake boards for each tier?

As for the refund - hum that's a tough call. I would proable give a refund.

cerobs Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:57am
post #3 of 23

I used them bubble straw , cake boards and wooden dowel.

twooten173 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:10am
post #4 of 23

Sorry this happened to you. Were they able to salvage any of the cake?

Karema Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:19am
post #5 of 23

I'm so sorry it fell apart. Do they have pictures? Was the cake still edible? Did it fall apart and crash or was it just leaning over? I understand that she was upset but she didnt have to call you names. Apologize, talk to the bride and see what the true story is. If the cake crashed bite the bullet and give them a refund. If it was leaning and just looked a little bad give them a partial refund and give them a coupon for another cake. Also make them another cake topper if they dont have one.

brnrlvr Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:22am
post #6 of 23

I am sick to my stomache for you!

I agree with Karema.

cerobs Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:30am
post #7 of 23

Yes they eat the cake and that was the picture I take before I left the wedding.

liha21 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:37am
post #8 of 23

I feel your pain. If all the cake was eaten then definately no refund. Maybe a partial refund? but you certainly wouldn't have to. Did you ever claim to be a professional any time during the consultation, and up to the delivery? I just make sure to tell the bride that I am not a professional, but sure am not as expesive as one either. I guess it would depend on how much you charged for this cake. Good luck.

cerobs Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:50am
post #9 of 23

The bride sign a contract and I only charge 2.25 for 150 people. I think what mad me mad she call me black not charissa but black!

julzs71 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:14am
post #10 of 23

Well, I would tell her I would have been more than glad to refund you your money until you started calling me black. Then tell her you are suing her because of emotional distress. Then tell her, "Hello! We are in a new century!"
I can't stand some ignorant people still out there that are racist. Like black has anything with you not setting up a cake right. I really doubt she would have called me caucasian. If she started swearing at me or calling me by my race I would have just hung up on the woman.
It my books....No refund.
I do believe in refunds for mishaps, however with this one I wouldn't. She doesn't deserve one after she spoke to you this way.

melodyscakes Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:50am
post #11 of 23

even though she was terribly stupid, if it fell I think you should do a partial refund...not a whole refund, the entire cake did not fall over!

you could show her a picture of Jenna Bush's cake and tell her the leaning top cake is all the rage now.
just joking, but that would be funny.

gateaux Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:12am
post #12 of 23

I am so sorry this happened to you.

Your cakes are really nice. Did you use a plain buttercream dam or a dam made of mortar: (1/2 BC and 1/2 cake crumbs) This works really good for me. Adds extra flavor to the cake and structure as well. I am always worried when I make torted cakes for transport but since I use mortar I have not had any bulges or problems.... knock on wood!

I cannot talk to the refund, but I would be very tempted to say forget it because of the BOB's comments. How rude. I know weddings are stressfull and you want everything to be perfect. But yelling and using such language is uncalled for and will not solve the problem.
If the contract was with the Bride I think you might want to talk to her first and get her take on the whole things.

Also just a question to other CC's would a call to the venue to see if they were able to serve the cake be in bad taste. I would just disguise the call in a did you get enough servings or if you left instructions, were they easy enough to follow. Just a thought.

All the best to you. Good Luck.

cupcakeco Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:27am
post #13 of 23

Please don't give this woman back a penny.

Fallen cake or no: her behavior, in my opinion, nulls any commitment you may have had to this woman.

Best of luck in the situation-- judging by your picture, you do beautiful work. Don't let this discourage you too much.

Mike1394 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 10:02am
post #14 of 23

Pretty cake. Sorry about the lady, stupidity knows no boundries.

When you torted did the layers get put back on the same way they got taken off? It looks like it was the third tier that was the culprit.

She does deserve a refund, but screw her. The he** w/ her the lousy Biot**

Mike

Iloveweddings Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 11:20am
post #15 of 23

I am so sorry his happened to you. There was no need for her get nasty like she did. I realize it is a wedding cake, and weddings are very important, but don't let a cake make you that upset and ugly.

Homemade-Goodies Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 11:48am
post #16 of 23

I am really sorry you've had this happen...but, no one deserves such rudeness hurled at them! It still amazes me that the racial slurs are always so close to the tongue when something goes wrong, still.

As to the damage, speak with the bride, get a feel for what really happened then decide. Fair is fair, they paid for what they paid for and they may not have gotten that. Regardless of the mother's cr*ppy behavior, the daughter is your customer and it didn't work out as intended, speak with her to make it up to her.

Hang in there, hon - unless you make it a career to have lopsided cakes, it's all good from here. icon_wink.gif

foxymomma521 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 11:54am
post #17 of 23

I would've offered one, until she started using that language! You need to tell her that language was unacceptable. Do not give her money back!
On another note, if you don't want to torte- buy extra pans and bake several thin layers... Good Luck and I'm sorry she spoke to you that way.

KeltoKel Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:27pm
post #18 of 23

Too bad you could not have turned around, went back to the place, and taken the cake back. Said, "sure, I will offer a full refund, but I am taking my cake back..."

Her behavior was unacceptable, but if the cake did fall before it was cut, I think some kind of refund must be given. Not a full refund if they ate it, but perhaps a credit. Maybe apologize for the work, but tell her she had no right to treat you like garbage.

You don't want to tarnish your business, you make beautiful cakes.

Sorry this happened to you.

cerobs Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:24pm
post #19 of 23

I will call the bride in another week and talk with her regard the cake. The issue is with me and her not her mother. This was my first rude customer and I no it want be my last. Thanks

jess85 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 12:16pm
post #20 of 23

i would give a partial refund/voucher for the leaning, but they still ate it so i would not refund the lot.

cerobs Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:43pm
post #21 of 23

O.k. Ladies this is the lastes. The mother of the bride called to see where is her full refund of her money. She said that the top two tier fall and she want all of her money she suppose to email me picture of the cake last weekend. NO PICTURE YET. I don't have a problem refund some money but I would like a picture of the cakes. She told me He!! no she wasnt sending a picture and she want her money .. O.k. so I decide to call the bride and see what really happen to the cake. She said the someone take the top tier off and she did take picture of the three tier cake and all the cake was eating. What should I do?

julzs71 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:53pm
post #22 of 23

give her 20. They ate all of it. It didn't fall, someone took it off.

cerobs Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:02pm
post #23 of 23

20% or $20.00

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%