Can I Fix My Candy Clay?

Decorating By pamconn Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 2:16am by pamconn

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 6

I made candy clay for the second time. The first time I used 14-16 oz of candy melts and 1/3 cup corn syrup. I didn't have that recipe in front of me but one that said to use 1/2 cup of corn syrup.

When I saw that all of the corn syrup wouldn't stir into the chips I realized I had used too much so I added more chocolate.

(I reheated the first mixture to add in the other chips.)

Now I really have alot of extra liquid! What can I do? Should I start over from scratch or can this batch be saved? Or can I do something else with it?

Thanks for helping a dimwit.

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 6

If you over stir it, it will separate the oils from the solids. I would let it set up, then very gently (in a bowl over hot, not boiling water) re melt it.

don't stir much. pour it out and let it set up, then knead it into a smooth mass.

You can also using patience and muscle, knead what you already have. You have to remix the oils into the mass.

pamconn Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 6

Oh boy did I ever overstir it! Thank you for the tips. I figured if nothing else I could mix it with fondant and use it like that.

pamconn Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 6

I'm in Salem too!

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:35am
post #5 of 6

I let it separate, then when it's hardened and I'm ready to use it, I work the oil back into it. I use a pound of the candy melts, I know Wilton for some reason sells theirs 14oz a bag.
Here's a video of me making it, and using it. I also have several pics posted with things I've made using this recipe:

pamconn Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:16am
post #6 of 6

Thank you. Your video was very helpful! I think my candy clay may still work.

Thank you both again for the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%