Potentially Wobbly Cake... Any Suggestions??

Decorating By heatherlikesfood Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 10:24pm by leah_s

heatherlikesfood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heatherlikesfood Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 6

Right now I am working on a cake that is 1 very tall tier. It's 4, 1 1/2" layers of cake and stands with icing about 8 inches tall.

I think it will be okay, I'm just a little bit nervous about it shifting during delivery. I'm letting it chill really good right for the next several hours so its nice and cold before it goes in the car.

Would a wooden dowel do any good down the center and into the drum? I was talking to my husband and he seems to think that with it just being 1 tall tier it wouldn't make any difference, Basically I just want to prove him wrong icon_biggrin.gif and I of course don't want a shifted cake to deliver.

I had thought about separating the layers into two's with a round and doing the normal support for a stacked cake, but didn't think it was neccesary.

What is your experience with tall tiers and what works for you??

5 replies
aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 6

A center dowel couldn't hurt. I have not stacked that many cakes though so I dont know. I would definitely chill it though.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 6

Anything taller than 6 inches is pretty dangerous - especially with so many layers of potentially slippery filling.

I would have divided the cake with one board and dowels not only for stability but for ease of serving. Those are going to be some very TALL slices of cake!

If you're not going to divide the cake, I'd suggest driving two dowels all the way through rather than one. That would offer extra protection.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I would have divided the cake with one board and dowels not only for stability but for ease of serving. Those are going to be some very TALL slices of cake!

Agree. I cut a groom's cake at a wedding that was made by someone else. It was a beautiful cake, but it had 6 or 7 layers and no boards between. It was terrible trying to cut that thing and not knowing where to stop the knife! icon_cry.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 6

Is it already all stacked? I would suggest that after 3 or 4 layers of cake, you dowel and then put in another cardboard plate for supports. It should be just like doweling a tiered cake, only the tiers are exactly the same size. Does that make sense?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 6

Generally speaking, a cardboard and some type of support goes in every 4".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%