I Just Have To Stop This Thing

Business By lilmiz Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 10:26pm by mushbug9

lilmiz Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 8

I have been doing cakes for about 5 years . I just did them as gifts for playgoup birthdays and for the parties I throw (which is alot.)

Now the other guests at parties ( people I don't know) are asking for my business card wanting cakes.
I did a couple (Naughty Naughty, I know) and that led to more calls and so on til I just had to stop this thing and say "sorry I can't".

I have no problem doing something for close friends and family as a gift. But I just don't feel comfortable doing them for anyone with no liscence and charging.

Everyone says " you need to start a business!" I would love to start my own business but I know how hard it is. Under current circumstance its not an option.

Guess I just need to vent to people who understand where I am coming from.

7 replies
mommachris Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 8

I can see why you have such a demand...you're great!
I also get why you want it to stop. Just tell the next person who makes a request that you are not a legal baker and you appreciate the compliment but that you will not be in business for some time.

Keep making those great cakes and don't feel guilty for turning away opportunities. It will rest with your soul better to stay within the law.

blessings,
mommachris

mushbug9 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 8

An easy way to get licensed with little overhead is to go to a church or american legion or something of that sort and ask to rent kitchen time "as needed" from them. then whenever you do cakes for others for profit you would need to make arrangements to go there for it, may be a bit of a pain for a while but if you are considering doing this "for real" its a good place to start.

lilmiz Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 8

You know Mush bug I really should look into that Churches.

My 2 year old goes to Preschool at a big SBC. They are so nice there. I don't know if they have a kitchen but i think they do. Heck Id consider switching to SB if the price is right!

indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmiz

Everyone says " you need to start a business!" I would love to start my own business but I know how hard it is. Under current circumstance its not an option.

And what a great compliment that so many people think you are talented enough to do it, too! thumbs_up.gif Way to go!!

If you just want them to stop telling you that all the time, though, just respond, "Sure! All I need is your $50,000 check and it's a done deal!" icon_biggrin.gif

margaretb Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 8

>If you just want them to stop telling you that all the time, though, just respond, "Sure! All I need is your $50,000 check and it's a done deal!"

I'll be stealing this line! Priceless!

gscout73 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 8

I am in the same boat. I have a co-worker in the IT dept who is stronly encouraging me to make a business. I had no idea one could rent the kitchen of a church or American Legion hall. I am afill with an AL post. How would I even aproach them? and even if they agree, how people like us come up with a contract or know what are the correct steps? My DD is graduating from HS this coming year, they cut the overtime at my office and I am in need of supplimental income.

If only I could either win the lottery or have a fairy godmother icon_rolleyes.gif

mushbug9 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 8

Fairy god mother-if you find yours, send her my way too. LOL. I assume like all the other legality laws it differs by state. I am looking into doing the same thing here so what I have found out is this...
In Mass, if you bake out of a licensed kitched, you can get a business license. I have applied for mine but am waiting for the approval ect. I went to all my local places and basically offered to bake cakes for any of their occcasios ect in place of time in the kitchen. Noone went for it. LOL. The best offer I got was to pay 10 dollars per hour to a place near here that I can use as my business kitchen address. I just have to work around their rented schedule, so afternoons and mornings durring the week I can pretty much do anything. Weekends are pretty much out, and evenings depend on their schedule. It works for me though. I am planning on just estimating how much time it will take me to do the cake and factor that into my pricing. It looks like I should be all set in a month or two and the place was really great about helping me out with it. I got the idea from on here a while ago and am just now at a point that I can do it. Hopefully this will get me going so I can afford to rent a place in a year or two. We'll See.[/quote]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%