I'm So Nervous!

Decorating By grumpyx07 Updated 16 Jul 2008 , 2:13pm by FromScratch

grumpyx07 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 12

So, this lady at our Dr.'s office got one of my cookies at Christmas time and let her 1 yr. old niece try it and she loved them so did everyone else. Apparently when asked what she wanted her for her birthday she said cookies. I'm not doing cookies, a cake and 2 dz. cupcakes for this woman with the theme of Elmo, due next Saturday.

I am SO nervous because she wants the cake to look as big and as expensive as possible, I'm charging her $65 for the cake/cupcakes but she said go big and if it's more she'll just pay it. The cookies I am personally throwing in because I want to try out Elmo and MY nieces want them lol.

The reason I'm freaking out is I normally just do 8" round cakes with an edible image...and only like 4 times. I'm not very experienced with how to store it once I finish it and she wants a light chocolate mousse filling, which I've never done. I want the cake to be as fresh as possible, but I don't want to be up to wee hours in the morning the night before especially since I have a work event the same day as the party. The cakes decorations will all be BC nothing else and I'm thinking of doing the musical Elmo cake from the Wilton 2008 Yearbook.

Any suggestions or advice of how early I can decorate and how to store would be very much appreciated. Sorry for the long book, I'm just really freaking out lol.

11 replies
lu9129 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 12

Make your cupcakes now and put them in the freezer. (Wrap them really well) When it is time to decorate, get a big star tip and squeeze a good amount of icing on the cupcake and then pipe eyes, nose and mouth on them. They turn out really cute.

You can also do your cake ahead of time and freeze. I think you are low balling your price. But it's up to you how you do it.

Your cookies, how many are you doing? I personally would not "throw them in" for free. Maybe say, I gave you a percentage off on the cookies. You don't want people to refer because you give free stuff. So, if you feel you want to do something, just discount her.

Hope that helps.

Monkess Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 12

I agree. You are unnder charging-that is way to cheap, no wonder she is willing to pay more -she knows this is too low. Making the cakes and cupcakes ahead will definately help relieve the pressure. They turn out more moist this way too. I usually plastic wrap well and then put in a large ziplock or shopping bag. Defrost the night before you want to decorate and you are all set. Good luck!

bellejoey Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 12

Yikes! You should charge more! icon_smile.gif Make cupcakes and cakes and cookies ahead of time and freeze. The cupcakes can be decorated and stored nicely in the fridge 1-2 days ahead of time and still taste fantastic! The cookies can be made a few days in advance also especially if you are doing royal icing and packaging them. Doing all that in advance would give you plenty of time to just focus on the main cake! icon_smile.gif Hope that helped a little!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

TC123 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:33pm
post #5 of 12

Hi! You do very nice work, and I'm sure Saturday's event will be a huge success! I, too, believe you are way undercharging for all that you plan to do. I don't think the price you quoted would even cover my ingredients if I were doing a cake, cupcakes, frosting, cookies, cookie icing and a chocolate mousse filling. (Consider that chocolate mousse alone is made of chocolate, butter, heavy cream, gelatin, egg yolks/whites, sugar.)

Anyway, I just wanted to wish you sweet blessings! ... From one Joizy girl to another! (I grew up in Somerville... icon_razz.gif )

Don't forget to post photos for us to see!!! icon_smile.gif

PattyT Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 12

I agree with the rest. You should charge for the cookies. They are what got you the job in the first place!

grumpyx07 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 12

Wow, I didn't even know I got replies...not getting those notifications anymore.

I've decided to not do the cookies. I really wanted to do them and try them out and send most to my nieces, but I'm so busy this week that isn't possible.

As for the cake I know I'm undercharging, the woman knows it's a discounted price too because I'm just getting started with the cakes. You guys are always so helpful with everything, and I do appreciate you looking out for me though. icon_smile.gif What I'm really concerned about is getting everything done in time and not being stressed.

I have to admit after reading some disaster stories about freezing cakes and customers complaining about the cake still being frozen I'm afraid to try it. Plus, my fridge gets super cold sometimes...it's never right.

If I bake and frost the cupcakes on Thursday, then stick them in those plastic carriers like you get from the grocery store and place them in the fridge until Saturday morning or Friday night do you think they will be ok? That way I could bake/frost the actual cake on Friday?

Also, anyone have a good recipe for chocolate mousse I could make in advance? Thank you all for your help.

grumpyx07 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 12

Oh, and how much do you guys think a 3-layer 10" cake serves?

shanasweets Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 8:12pm
post #9 of 12

Now personally I would bake the cake on thursday and frig overnight. Then decorate friday. The cupcakes can be made while you are decorating. They cool rather quickly and should come together rather quickly also. You could decorate friday eve. Cupcakes dry out quicker than cake, so thats why I make them last.

As far as 10 in round, I would say 35-45 depending on size they cut it. Because of the extra layer it is going to be smaller pieces.

grumpyx07 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 8:16pm
post #10 of 12

Hmm, I like your idea better! Do you know if there is a tutorial or thread about storing the cake in the fridge overnight?

shanasweets Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:46pm
post #11 of 12

I just let my cake cool. torte/ dam/ fill and wrap up with suran wrap and frig. Has worked well every time. I know sugarshack has some type of white bag she uses to put her cakes in after she has filled. But I have not been able to find any. It is in her video. She leaves her cakes out on counter too I think. But alot of time I am using a perishable filling. But if your not, you can leave out.

FromScratch Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:13pm
post #12 of 12

a 10" cake is 35 servings.. that's 59 servings all together. You are hardly going to clear your cost for ingredients for $65. I wouldn't even clear cost on them. I'd charge $260 for all that cake.. she is getting a STEAL.

I'd do the same as sltoklahoma.. cupcakes dry out quickly so bake them last. I never have luck freezing them.. they tend to want to separate from the wrappers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%