:( Upset.. But It's My Own Fault...vent :(

Business By wgoat5 Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 11:16pm by wgoat5

wgoat5 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 13

Hi guys... had to vent here cause DH isn't wanting to hear me anymore LOL...
You know the should a could a would a scenerio? Well that is me right now.

Got a phone call from a local newspaper this morning.. wanting to do a piece on my cakes.... seems like someone has been talking them up... different and fresh ideas by Christi??????? Ugghh anyways...I'm not licensed.... didn't say I wasn't but... I'm not.. so I had to turn it down. The woman wanted to come out and talk to me anyways BUT... I got frightened and told her I was extremely busy (LIE) ..

Could of... hmmm... well I wish I was licensed... Oh well what can ya do? Fresh Idea's made by Cakes by Christi was going to be the heading LOL ..

Ever felt like you were kicked in the gutt.. and wanted to throwup afterwards? Well that's me right now icon_sad.gif ..

I have really slowed any business down by not being licensed... not wanting to take certain things..etc... but I am to the point I have to either do something or just give it up....and right now it's leaning more towards the latter... we have been searching up and down for a great place to have a bakery.. and everything seems to come to a dead end.... It seems like our ducks don't wanna get in that forsaken row that they need to be. I know things will eventually pan out..when it is time but... I either need to take on more and risk it ..or just never do anything with it.

Sorry for the vent icon_sad.gif

12 replies
leah_s Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 13

PMing you.

Mike1394 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 13

Bummer. Welcome to success. Hope you continue though. You do very nice work.

suzylynn58 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 13

I'm kind of in that same boat. Wanted to do a legal kitchen on my property, but found out the requirements would be more than I can do right now. I have a full time job and do this on the side. If I could advertise I could make this full time what with all I turn down. But for now, what to do?

Christ, I 'm with you. Such frustration!!

bakingagain Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 13

I also have thought of going into some kind of business,
but the legal kitchen would cost more than I can afford,
especially for a small part time business.

michellenj Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 13

Well, if you gave up caking you would have more time to focus on the goat farming. icon_biggrin.gif

Hang in there, Christi. Your work is fantastic, you better not give up!

MichelleM77 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:34pm
post #7 of 13

Aw Christi, it will happen when you are really ready. Don't get discouraged. icon_smile.gif Your cakes are beautiful and deserve a spread in the paper!

ladybug76 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:47pm
post #8 of 13

Hang in there..... You're cakes are beautiful. I think alot of people are in the same boat. For myself, I can become licensed by the state but my township is proving to be difficult in zoning regulations - not to mention hundreds and hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of dollars to apply, which makes me sick in my belly to spend if I only get a big ol' "DENIED" stamp on my application. I too am turning down wedding cakes at big venues (spelling?) because I am not licensed yet.
Keep your chin.... keep on baking.... and all your "crumbs" will come in a row.
~ Jaime

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 5:52pm
post #9 of 13

jsmith Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:33pm
post #10 of 13

I know how you feel. It's so frustrating. It's like being in cake limbo.

I think it's a great compliment the newspaper wanted to do a story on you. I've seen a few decorators featured in newspapers and they were just hobbyists. It wasn't promoting a business but just recognizing their work. Maybe you could tell them you just have a cool hobby and try to leave out the part where you sometimes sell cakes? icon_smile.gif It would be great recognition and could possibly open up some leads for you. Your cakes are awesome and definitely deserve a newspaper story. Don't give up!

indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:08pm
post #11 of 13

It was certainly a great compliment and as hard as it was, you made the right decision.

Not too long ago, a newspaper somewhere in Indiana did a story on a little girl (10 yrs old?) who had started her own cake business. She did pretty good work, had a cute little price list, everything.

Health dept saw the story and shut her down.

So the TV stations did a story on how the health dept shut down a little girl's business. icon_confused.gif

I hope you find a way to get legal soon .... your work deserves the recognition. thumbs_up.gif

melodyscakes Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:01pm
post #12 of 13

ohhh man, couldn't you use a church's kitchen or something? you need to get legal so you can call the paper back and tell them "that you've been so busy, but you think you can squeeze you in for an interview soon."

good luck

wgoat5 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:16pm
post #13 of 13
Originally Posted by michellenj

Well, if you gave up caking you would have more time to focus on the goat farming. icon_biggrin.gif

Had to laugh at this icon_smile.gif Thank you

And thanks guys icon_smile.gif ... I had a breather... I think it will happen when it is truly time. I am not going to give up.. Things just keep slipping through the cracks icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%