Gum Paste Asiatic/tiger Lily?

Decorating By sgauta Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 5:10am by JanH

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I am still a novice at making gum paste flowers and my sister-in-law has asked me to do her wedding cake with asiatic lilies (the wedding is next year so I have PLENTY of time!). I found some cutters and a veiner on one website but was hoping to hear from someone experienced with this particular flower. Any tips or suggestions - what are your preferred tools for making these lilies?

I'd also be interested in tips on how to put the petals together. In the past I've always just lightly pressed them together at the flower's center and let them dry. Is there a 'better' way of doing it or is that typically how it's done? Also, I have a pretty good idea on how to do the stamens of the asiatic lily but I'd love to hear what works for others! Thanks so much for any help/advice you can give. icon_biggrin.gif

Sarah

5 replies
taxnerd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxnerd Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:29am
post #2 of 6

I am making some stargazer lilies, which I think are similar but may be a little larger, for my brother-in-law's wedding cake. I'm using the stargazer lily cutters from Global Sugar Art and I've been pleased with the results. When you use these cutters, you cut each leaf separately, as opposed to the lily cutter that comes with the Wilton set where you cut the entire flower and then fold it around. However, I am using the veiner that came with the Wilton set. I think it's actually meant for doing orchid veins, but it looks OK on the lilies too. I've been using a 32 gauge wire (wrapped in white floral tape) as a "stem" for each leaf. When the leaves have dried, I wrap all the stems together with additional green floral tape; you'll need 6 for each lily. Depending upon how thin you roll your gum paste you may also need a heavier gauge wire.

For the stamens, I'm using the long, pointed dull brown stamens from Global Sugar Art, which have white stems with brown tips. For the pistol, I'm coating about 1-1/2" of a 5" piece of the white floral wire with whatever color gumpaste I'm using by rolling it between my hands until it's just coating the wire.

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:10am
post #3 of 6

Very helpful, thank you so much!!!

Sarah

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:15am
post #4 of 6

Here's Feefs illustrated tutorial on Asiatic/Oriental gumpaste lilies:

http://www.fira.com.au/Oriental-Lily

HTH

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for that tutorial!! It is fabulous!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:10am
post #6 of 6

Back at you, cake-angel. icon_biggrin.gif

(Your cakescanada Elmo topper is a great help!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%