Can You Put Good Fondant On A Frozen Cake? (Not Mmf)

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 1:14pm by loriemoms

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 5

I have a last minute request for a cake..I will be out all day today, so was going to cover one of the frozen cakes I have in the freezer with fondant and decorate it when I got home. I know fondant will sweat on a frozen cake, but my question is will the cake get soggy from defrosting inside the fondant, or should it be ok? I will be leaving it out in a A/C room and it will have plenty of time to defrost before serving..

Thanks!

4 replies
loriemoms Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 5

anyone?

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 5

I wouldn't think so. I would think it would be the same as defrosting it in whatever you wrap the cake in to place it in the freezer. I did a cake once, and froze it with the fondant on, and it came out fine.

HTH! thumbs_up.gif

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 5

I would not chance it, cakes defrost so quickly that I would try and defrost the cake before covering it. I have had some serious sweat incidents with cold cakes and fondant. If you do find your fondant sweating put your cake under a fan on high speed, that really helps getting rid of the excess moisture.

loriemoms Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:14pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for your help...The fondant did fine (I had a little sweating on the top when I was leaving, but the entire thing was dry when I got home about 5 hours later) The fondant actually stayed nice and soft, it was very nice to cut into and the buttercream under neith was kind of moist and made the cake actually taste better! (I dont know how long it would last though for a few days, but for this quickie, it worked out well)

Thanks again..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%