Making Caramel Buttercream

Decorating By staceyboots Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 6:26pm by staceyboots

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:54am
post #1 of 6

Hi

I was doing some research for a caramel frosting and noticed that all of the recipes used butter and it has to be cooked along with the brown sugar.

Has anyone had any success with a caramel frosting that uses shortening in any way (one that kinda crusts)?

can i make the all-butter frosting and add it to my regular crusting buttercream, like 50/50?

how about adding caramel sauce to crusting buttercream, will that work?

i guess that i am really searching for a crusting buttercream with a good caramel flavour.

Thanks!

5 replies
bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 6

I have used regular all shortening based BC with molasses added to use on spice cake and carrot cakes....easy to make...crusts the same as regular BC. Adjust the liquid to account for the molasses. Only "disadvantage" so to say is the color....a really nice tan color.

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 6

I use the recipe for Chocolcate Syrup Frosting in the recipe section here at Cake Central, omittting the cocoa and using Hershey's Dulce de Leche syrup and/or caramel ice cream topping for flavor. Lorann oils makes a good caramel flavor as well.

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 6

i'd say either an essence or a can of top and fill/dulce de lech depending what color you wnt

bathoryjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bathoryjones Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 6

wilton has a caramel buttercream recipe on their site. I have made it and it's pretty thin so I would add more powdered sugar. I tasted very good.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 6

thanks, everyone!

bathoryjones, i checked out the Wilton website for the recipe but couldn't find it. can you post the link? TIA

i will also try making a batch of caramel sauce and adding it to my regular BC recipe.

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%