What Is Mint Sugar And How Is It Used?

Decorating By Cookie4 Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 6:17pm by playingwithsugar

Cookie4 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 6:09am
post #1 of 13

Does anyone know what Mint Sugar is and have the recipe. I understand that it is an old Wilton recipe but I can't find it on Wilton's site or in any of my old Wilton books.

It is supposed to be like fondant and gumpaste and taste very good. I'm not sure why anyone would want to make it - just use fondant or gum paste.

12 replies
YALANTZI Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 13

I also would like to know what it is.

staceyboots Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 13

You're in luck!!!

I saw the recipe in an old Wilton that I purchased on ebay. Here's the recipe:

Gelatin mint sugar, another versatile type of decorating paste, makes an endless variety of colourful cake trims and party favours, besides being good tasting.

Mint Sugar Recipe:
3 Tbsps. unflavoured gelatin
1 cup warm water
1/2 cup constarch
3 lbs powdered sugar
2 - 3 drops peppermint oil

Dissolve gelatin in warm water and pour through a fine sieve into a glass bowl.

Add peppermint oil; then blend in cornstarch and a small amount of powdered sugar. Keep adding sugar a little at a time, until the mixture becomes very smooth.

When mint sugar is of the correct consistency, store in a tight-covered jar that has been dusted inside with cornstarch.

The very same procedures for colouring and rolling out gumpaste are applied to mint sugar. To tint, add small amounts of food colour with a toothpick and work into the mixture with your hands.

To roll out mint sugar, always dust your hands, work surface and rolling pin with conrstarch first; then roll to desired thicknes.

Cut out decorative pattern pieces immediately, since mint sugar is very quick drying.

In the book, the mint sugar was used to cut out decorations like baby booties, graduation caps, cradles, parasols and jewellery boxes. It seems interesting enough to dry, though. It works like gumpaste/pastillage but still edible!!

Cookie4 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:22am
post #4 of 13

Thank you StaceyBoots for the recipe for the mint sugar. What exact Wilton book was that found in? Do you have the publish date of the book as well? Thanks again.

maimai16 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 13

hmmm... this is interesting... would be making this soon... icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 13

Yes, please, what year is that from, and would you be able to scan some pictures or procedures that they suggest for it's use?

Thanks so much -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

staceyboots Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 13

the recipe was in an old edition of "The Wilton Way of Making Gumpaste Flowers".

i did scan the instructions so i can pm them to anyone who wants them.

jjkarm Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:34pm
post #8 of 13

Would you please PM me? I'd love to see what it says.

staceyboots Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:34pm
post #9 of 13

better yet, please pm me your email address...i am having trouble uploading the file.

playingwithsugar Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:16pm
post #10 of 13

Is that the book with the yellow binding?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

staceyboots Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:35pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Is that the book with the yellow binding?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Yipe...that's it!

julia1963 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:14pm
post #12 of 13

Do you think it would hurt to change the peppermint oil to a different flavor oil? I don't see why not, but I am new to all this and it might make a difference. Thank you. Julia

playingwithsugar Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 6:17pm
post #13 of 13

Ooh, I have two of those books. Now, to find them! They're still packed away from the move, duh, three months ago!

Thanks!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%