Have The Foodnetwork Shows Helped Your Business?

Decorating By beagledog100 Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 1:49am by jo_ann

beagledog100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beagledog100 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:53am
post #1 of 8

With all the great cakes shows on FoodNetwork have you noticed an increase in your business? or have you found a lot of people want the cakes like Duff makes, but can't afford them?

7 replies
Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:12pm
post #2 of 8

I don't know that they have increased my business, but I have had a customer say, "You know how on Ace of Cakes they do this...." I got a little panicky thinking to myself, hey lady, you realize I'm not on that show right?? But I took a hint from Bronwen, she said you just tell them sure I can do that and then figure it out later lol. But I agree with you that now people want these custom, carved cakes but don't want to pay a premium price. They just don't realize how much work goes into these things.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 8

The shows have definietly made people more adventurous with their cakes.. doesn't mean they want to PAY for this adventure though. icon_lol.gif

I love how they come and ask about a 3 tiered topsy-turvy cake for their child's birthday with fondant cut-outs and beads on wires and fall over when you tell them it will cost them $450.00. Yeah.. because 9 layers of cake are going to carve and balance themselves.. no problem. icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 8

Their eyes have seen the glory but their brains haven't caught up yet.

In their minds, "just a birthday cake" is a $20 cake. It's those wedding cakes that are so dog gone expensive! The fact that they are wanting a cake that is 5 or 10 times as ornate and more work than a wedding cake just does not compute ... it's a birthday cake and birthday cakes are "posta" be twenty bucks.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:27am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Their eyes have seen the glory but their brains haven't caught up yet.

I LOVE that! It's true. I mean, they think that if Duff and staff can get several of these cakes done in less than half an hour, what's wrong with me? icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

On the bright side, I do get a lot more challenging cake orders now that people have been exposed to the different options via FoodNetwork.

Deanna

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:38am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna

But I took a hint from Bronwen, she said you just tell them sure I can do that and then figure it out later lol.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that that does this. Oh sure I can 'do' anything. Sometimes I could kick myself for having that additude.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:43am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshcakedesigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna

But I took a hint from Bronwen, she said you just tell them sure I can do that and then figure it out later lol.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that that does this. Oh sure I can 'do' anything. Sometimes I could kick myself for having that additude.

Me, too. That's how I did my basketweave with real ribbon woven in ... bride asked if real ribbon could be used; I said "SURE!" then after she left, said, "Oh crap, now I have to figure out how to do this!" A couple asked for Hawaiian type foods for their Hawaiian themed reception. "No problem!" I said, then after they left, it was "Google .... Hawaiian recipes ... SEARCH!" icon_lol.gif

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:49am
post #8 of 8

Google is our friend. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%