Ack! I Ran Out Of Vanilla - It's Midnight - And...

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 8:55pm by zoomitoons

mom2spunkynbug Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:18am
post #1 of 14

I was going to use some Mexican vanilla that I have. I was unscrewing the cap and noticed numbers on it - and there is 030608 - is this the expiration date?! I didn't think that vanilla extract had an expiration date! I don't know what to do - if it's safe to use or if I should dump it or what icon_cry.gif

I'm not having a very good night icon_sad.gif

13 replies
sunnybono Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:45am
post #2 of 14

Listen...my mom had the same bottle of Mexican vanilla on her shelf that she used for YEARS...and it tasted fine and we all lived. I seriously doubt it's truly expired. Also...go easy with that stuff...you need like a 1/4 of a normal amount. It is super potent.

sunnybono Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:46am
post #3 of 14

Listen...my mom had the same bottle of Mexican vanilla on her shelf that she used for YEARS...and it tasted fine and we all lived. I seriously doubt it's truly expired. Also...go easy with that stuff...you need like a 1/4 of a normal amount. It is super potent.

KoryAK Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 6:05am
post #4 of 14

I don't think it may ever go "bad" and certainly not at the 4 month past mark.

Luby Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 14

I never throw vanilla out and I, too, had a bottle of Mexican Vanilla for a couple of years that I used until the last drop.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks for the reassurance!

I went and checked my other extracts and they just had "best by" dates on them. The mexican vanilla looked & smelled great still, so I did use it...and I like adding that better than regular vanilla! I don't know why I didn't use it earlier icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:08am
post #7 of 14

Glad you didnt dump it ! That stuff stays good 4ever !

sari66 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 14

Expires by dates are usually for stores, they can only keep something on the shelf for so long then get rid of it.
Most shelf stuff like your vanilla is good past these dates for a year or more.

poshcakedesigns Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 7:53pm
post #9 of 14

It'll be fine, that stuff last FOREVER...

miasuzzette Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:02pm
post #10 of 14

Where do You buy the Mexican Vanilla.

Thank You.
Margie from Ct

Homemade-Goodies Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:21pm
post #11 of 14

Mexico uses the European style for dates..DDMMYY - it would only have been June even if it WERE an expiration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_date icon_lol.gif

CocoaBlondie Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:34pm
post #12 of 14

It's a good thing your cautious about what your putting in your cakes! Things like that last forever. I'm a big believer in discount stores & I often get things right at around the time they expire for home use. We've all survived, in fact I think it makes us stronger icon_lol.gif

mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:41pm
post #13 of 14

I was wondering where to find Good Mexican vanilla... I had a couple bottles, but I just ran out and I can't find it in my local stores anymore, Where can I find an online place that is reputable and sells good vanilla?

zoomitoons Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:55pm
post #14 of 14

A friend of mine went to Mexico last winter and brought me back a whole case of Mexican Vanilla (I won't use anything else now lol) I didn't even think to look for an expiration date. Before I started doing cakes more I had the same jar of vanilla for probably a year and never had any issues with it. I'm glad everything worked out for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%