Instead Of Choc. Covered Strawberries??

Decorating By mom2leelee Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 5:33pm by prettysweet

mom2leelee Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:28am
post #1 of 11

I have a request for a chocolate cake iced w/ choc bc w/ red fondant striping and topped w/ choc. covered strawberries. I am having a really hard time finding any decent strawberries. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to replace the strawberries with?

10 replies
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:42am
post #2 of 11

Do you have a Sam's Club close to you because their berries are looking really good right now.

That's odd ... this time of year is pretty peak season for strawberries.

mom2leelee Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:49am
post #3 of 11

There is a Sams in Evansville IN which is about an hour from me. I will def check them out.

There are a few local berry patches but their berries have came and went way back in end of May / first of June. I usually do my grocery shopping at walmart and they haven't had any the last few times I've been.

If I can't find any nice looking ones, any suggestions on what to use instead? I was thinking of nice big chocolate shavings?

Edited to add: This cake is for a man so I don't want to do flowers or anything to "fru fru" lol

cupcakeco Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 11

chocolate dipped cherries?

mom2leelee Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 11

The cherry idea is cute. I think I will make cherries out of the extra red fondant and then chocolate dip them. Maybe use licorice for the stems?

foxymomma521 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 11

choc covered marshmallows?

cupcakeco Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:55am
post #7 of 11

Mom2leelee: is this for a groom's cake?

I love the idea of handcrafting cherries out of fondant and licorice, but think of what a luxurious touch real chocolate-dipped cherries would add to your chocolate-chocolate cake.

I also love the idea of chocolate curls. But since this is a man's cake, think more streamlined-- jagged chocolate tiles (maybe drizzled with red-dyed white chocolate) jutting out amongst chocolate dipped cherries would give a very manly and luxurious look to your cake. Just some ideas, hope you don't think it's too forward of me! icon_redface.gif

Good luck with the cake, and don't forget to post pictures!
Happy dipping!

pugmama1 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:08am
post #8 of 11

Do you by any chance have a farmer's market in the area? They may carry strawberries of a good quality. Here in the West, both Sam's and Costco have great strawberries right now, but we have many local farmer's markets that carry fabulous produce. I think the cherry idea is great, though, and cherries are peaking here.

mom2leelee Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:22pm
post #9 of 11

cupcakeco ~ that is a GREAT idea! The cake is for a man's birthday and the customer made it very clear that they did not want anything "girly". Thanks for the idea on the chocolate, the drizzles sound great and since cherries are peaking here too, I think I'll go w/ fresh ones.

You guys ROCK!

NikkiDoc Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:30pm
post #10 of 11

peanut butter balls, chocolate covered...those are alot like a reese's cup. yumm!

prettysweet Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:33pm
post #11 of 11

What about chocolate truffles with some strawberry flavoring added to either the truffle filling or the chocolate dip covering?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%