Need Help With Chocolate Mmf

Decorating By mija10417 Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 12:35am by Horrorxgirl

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:48am
post #1 of 10

I've made it before but only used it for accents or modeling. Now I'm trying to cover a cake with it and it just keeps tearing, plus it's not very soft. I put in the microwave, added more shortening and even added some glycerine. What else could I do to make this workable??

9 replies
Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:13am
post #2 of 10

UGH... Sounds like you tried everything I was going to suggest... was thinking of my response before the page even opened (chocolate MMF questions are always about how hard it is) LOL...

I hate chocolate MMF for this reason... I guess the only thing I would suggest is try adding water... and make sure its warm before you roll it out...

...shhh...don't tell anyone LOL... but once I was so frustrated with my chocolate MMF that I m'waved it so it was very very squishy...plopped it on my silicone mat with a bunch of powdered sugar and then it worked... but I don't recommend doing that.. I believe it stuck in spots there was no PS.... oopsy...

mija10417 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks Sarsi! When I add the water though, won't it make it sticky?

mija10417 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 10

Ok, I nuked it until warm, added a little water, nothing!

It's still just cracking and crumbling....Is there anyway to salvage this???

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 10

I've never made chocolate mmf and wanted to try it...not now! When my regular mmf gets like that I just work shortening in it and it makes it pliable...but I guess you tried that - sorry I can't help more!

abclark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abclark Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 10

That is what happened when I tried chocolate MMF. I ended up making an argile cake to cover all the cracks. I was supposed to do dots. I would keep microwaving and more shortning. I don't know what make this so awful.

good luck

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 10

Ok. it sounds like it is too dry. I use cocoa instead of some of the PS to make mine, and SOMETIMES it gets too dry. Then I make a bit more plain old MMF (really goopy, not like you would like to work with at all) and mix the two. That should work. More MM and More Cowbell baby. HTH

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:41pm
post #8 of 10

Hmmm...I'm sorry about this mess!! From now on when I make chocoalte MMF... i only mix in about 1 lb of PS (I go by feel)... The texture is a bit softer than normal, but once it dries, its a decent softness... for future reference...

mija10417 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:10pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone. I nuked it until it was hot and it was a little more workable but next time I ordering chocolate fondant!

Horrorxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horrorxgirl Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:35am
post #10 of 10

I had good luck with just adding cocoa to the marshmallows before adding the powdered sugar. I've only made it once, but it was very pliable for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%