Are You Artistic Outside Of Cake Decorating?

Decorating By beagledog100 Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 2:10pm by ccr03

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:15am
post #61 of 68

I was an art major in college (switched to speech pathology when my parents thought I'd be a "starving artist"...hated speech, still love art), went to F.I.T. in New York City, and had my own mural business for 4 years. Now my medium is cake!

Lesia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lesia Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:23am
post #62 of 68

Hmmm.... I've loved to sew since I was 6 yrs old. - I used to design and construct custom wedding gowns... then I started doing the flowers... then the cakes came next, and I enjoy that the most. I also write, paint and do any craft that requires a needle of any kind. icon_biggrin.gif

lisad1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisad1 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:34am
post #63 of 68

I've always loved to draw, you can bet if I've gone to a meeting there are pictures there right along with my notes. Can't help myself!

I'm always happiest doing something creative...whether it's drawing, scrap booking, decorating around the home, (big favorite) decorating for Christmas!!, blinging up phones,planning a party or event, or even the planning stages of a cake! I have to say I enjoy that almost as much as making a cake at this point. I always have a great idea for a cake theme, It always looks great on paper. I'm just not at a point where I execute that very well...but there is hope, just started taking class this week, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed... icon_wink.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:41am
post #64 of 68

I use to design clothing, I can decorate, I can paint, I do jewelry, scrapbooking, quilting and anything that is creative and fun!..Even macrame, crochet and knitting... lol
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:42am
post #65 of 68

I have what I call my useless degree in design..never did much with it as I also have a computer degree and went with that for many years.

I have one of those odd brains that can do both artistic and math stuff. But the artistic stuff is more challenging to me, so I enjoy it more. I have always been artistic...do pottery, make quilts, when my girls were little, made all their clothes, (I still have my buttom "Whoever dies with the most fabric wins") I have been crocheting since I was 10 years old and everyone gets a baby blanket with each baby! (I cannot sit in front of the tv without needlepoint or crocheting or a quilt to work on) I also paint, and love doing pastels and play with textures with pencils and ink. That is how I got into cake decorating, as I love the multi textural creativity. I also sculpt, with clay and have done a little marble. I have always wanted to learn to do ice sculpting and maybe one day will!

I also can build a computer (built my first 286 in the mid 80s) with my eyes closed, have my certs in several networking applications and build my own web site. I guess these are kind of creative things too. I can also change the oil of my car! hahaha!

I also LOVE to cook and can cook just about anything. My idea of the perfect party is to have 10 friends over, have them all bring a bottle of wine each, and serve them a classic 12 course french or italian meal. Thanksgiving at my house is very popular!

I wish I could one day invite all CC's over and have everyone bring a cake and we can have a great tea party!

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:55am
post #66 of 68

My cakes aren't anywhere near as good as others here but I like scrapbooking, photography, putting together paint palets for homes/rooms, making my own invitations and goodie bags for kids parties (my own kids). I'm terrible at drawing so anything where I can be creative but not artisitc I like to dabble in.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:04am
post #67 of 68

i do alot of crafty and artsy stuff aside from cake, i think thats why i got a job at michaels years ago...
i do scrapbooks, sew doll clothes, paint, sketch, do some interior design, and floral designs ( i am into weddings now)

but i used to do alot more crafty stuff before, like candles, doll house miniatures, crochet, knit, and make my own clothes..

now its hard to get in to do all those stuff... i am lucky if i can pick up a brush to paint a canvas instead of a cake...

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 2:10pm
post #68 of 68

Up until late last year I never considered myself a creative/artistic/'crafty" person. i said that to my sister once and she asked if I was for real!

Back in HS I took some ceramic classes that I LOVED - heck if I had the money and time I WOULD SOOOOO take classes again! I am also a writer by nature and love computer graphics.

Can I draw? NOt even a straight line. Can I paint? Ask my dad - he banned me from helping him paint our balcony icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%