Are You Artistic Outside Of Cake Decorating?

Decorating By beagledog100 Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 2:10pm by ccr03

beagledog100 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 68

I am amazed by some of the cakes that I have seen on this site. You all have such talent with cake decorating. What I'm wondering is are you also artistic in other areas? Can you draw, paint, etc?

67 replies
gottabakenow Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 68

not that my cakes are so good, but nope. no way. icon_wink.gif

indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:33am
post #3 of 68

Not draw or paint (my sister is the canvas artist in our family), but I make pinecone wreaths with themes (i.e. I have one that has playing cards, dice and poker chips in it for a game room); and I design my own crochet and cross stitching patterns and designs.

tracey1970 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:41am
post #4 of 68

No! I'm a high school English department head, and one of my best friends is an art teacher who is insanely talented. I always tell her that I couldn't draw a stick man, with a ruler, on graph paper. I do sew, knit, and cross stitch a lot, but for the most part, I follow patterns. Left to my own devices, not a single artistic bone in this body! I admire those who do.

mom2leelee Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:08am
post #5 of 68

I have a degree in Interior Design and work in the kitchen design business. I am very creative, but I wouldn't say "artistic".

Win Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:36am
post #6 of 68

I've always been 'crafty.' I paint, make jewelry, sew, knit, stencil, etc., etc., etc. I wouldn't say artistic, but enjoy the creative outlet that this particular venue provides.

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:44am
post #7 of 68

I paint, make jewelry, sew doll clothes and costumes for the kids, quilt, and crochet. I do some simple graphics stuff...I used to make the sparkly names for myspace and piczo before there were a million generators for it. I also take pictures when I have a decent camera (not now).

nickymom Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:51am
post #8 of 68

I draw, make web graphics, scrapbook

nisha_ru Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:52am
post #9 of 68

I'm certainly not talented compared to most of the decorators on here, but outside of cake decorating, I do floral design, Photography and Scrapbooking. I do consider myself artistic but couldn't draw or paint to save my life.

amytracy1981 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:59am
post #10 of 68

I love to draw, paint, sew, crochet. I also design and sell custom birthday invitations and greeting cards and a make all my own graphics for those. I love to create things!So I would say yeah I am pretty artistic. icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

LisaMS Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:01am
post #11 of 68

I used to love to draw; never learned to paint. I do have a degree in Interior Design and have always loved arts and crafts. I'd really like to be a cabinet designer. icon_smile.gif

thecreativeone4 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:07am
post #12 of 68

I used to scrapbook, paint crafts and such. I always sew my kids halloween costumes.... I built my kids beds too ( a castle loft and a hunting lodge). I have a lot of fun, but i don't think it's artistic ability, I just get bored and want to try new things. I've always stayed with cakes though. They are the most fun!

icer101 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:21am
post #13 of 68

i,ve been one stroke painting for about 31/2 years.... i make wreaths and floral arrangements for people... and for my church... love to doodle in that...

bwonderful Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:24am
post #14 of 68

I love anything artsy. I paint murals, draw, sew baby products, refinish furniture, and do whatever else I can get hold of. Except I could never get the hang of crochet! I'm also addicted to photoshop and I just bought my first digital SLR camera!! When my kids go to school (3 more years) than I'm planning to go back to college for an art degree.

Lady_Phoenix Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:25am
post #15 of 68

I sew, embroider, and do stencil painting, but otherwise not an artistic bone in my body. My boyfriend draws so he can take someones idea for their cake and make a beautiful sketch.

tlreetz Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:34am
post #16 of 68

I sew, but I can't draw to save my life!! If a client wants a sketch of what the cake will look like, I hand them a pencil and paper and tell them they'll have to draw what I'm describing because I can't draw at all!! But all my ideas come out great on cake!! icon_smile.gif

lutie Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:44am
post #17 of 68

For the past five years I have been taking oil painting classes from a local artist, and a year ago started a watercolor class in another county taught by a retired art teacher. I especially like to draw portraits in pencil and pen, but I have no one teaching me portrait work yet.

Sometimes I teach quilting classes, which involves a great deal of planning, etc. and quilt when I am traveling overseas (it makes the down time go by so quickly).

... but my favorite thing to do is to try to cook and bake. My artistry is used in my cooking and baking... and it all comes together when I think it never will. I use my art in my catering and locally am known to be the "creative caterer". This Fall I will be teaching a cooking class at my church for young married women, etc.

am2pm Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:47am
post #18 of 68

I paint, do crafts, knit a bit, make pins, scrapbook & I use to cross stitch until the eyes got too old to see those little holes LOL. Cake decorating is the new hobby this year!

something_sweet Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:59am
post #19 of 68

I have been painting for a few years and I do some card making with stamps and scrapbook supplies. But I can't draw! I also love photography. I love being creative, and I think it is important to be able to enjoy different mediums! icon_biggrin.gif

myphotos Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:59am
post #20 of 68

I used to sew matching clothes for my daughters, then I discovered cross-stitch (and had 4 more kids, so no more time for sewing!! icon_confused.gif ) Then I fell in love with quilting until I almost cut my index finger off with the rotary cutter....I got stitches for a Christmas present that year!!! icon_cry.gif Then I found the love of my life (except for hubby!) cake decorating. Now I'm addicted and hubby wonders if he needs to start that kitchen remodeling project I've been wanting!!! He also shakes his head as he passes the computer and sees that I'm on that cake website again!! icon_lol.gif Better go now!! icon_biggrin.gif

traceyjade Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:03am
post #21 of 68

bwonderful you sound like me icon_biggrin.gif I do childrens murals, furniture finishing, love taking pictures and playing around on the computer with them, face painting, really there are no limits, well except for sewing (Although if I tried I probably could) icon_lol.gif I love to do anything crafty. I want Marthas job icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

shellzey Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:05am
post #22 of 68

i always have to have something creative going. you name it, i've done it or probably tried it. knitting, crocheting etc isn't my thing though

my latest thing.......i hooked up with a lady on craigs list that i'm going to do a swap with. i'm going to bake cakes for her and she's going to teach me "the art of reborning" (those beautiful dolls you make that look like real babies) i want to make one that looks like my little girl as a baby and dress her in the outfit that i brought my baby home from the hospital in.

my husband rolls his eyes because i seem to always have something going. can anyone relate??

beagledog100 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:11am
post #23 of 68

I'm so glad that I posted this topic because I was getting discouraged. I would look at all the wonderful cakes and think that I would never be able to decorate such wonderful cakes because I'm not really artistic. Like many of you, I am very creative (scrapbooking, jewelry, etc.). I'm happy to see that there is hope for me. thumbs_up.gif

AmandaPanda Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:13am
post #24 of 68

I am a very "artsy" person .... I am actually assistant director to a local non profit organization called "Artsy Mamas". I LOVE crafts, ... I sew, decopage, make plates, cut, glue, digital scrapbook, make hairbows, you name it i have done it lol

jkeeler Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:43am
post #25 of 68

I've always been artistic but I have to say I'm blown away by the sugar art creations here on Cake Central--I've just gotten back into cake decorating after being away for quite a while.

I make historical costumes to wear to events and competitions. Here's an Elizabethan headdress I made (hope its okay to put an attachment).

kimmypooh79 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 6:50am
post #26 of 68

I do some oil painting, drawing, craft stuff, writing....anything that requires creativity and imagination.

BrandisBaked Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 7:25am
post #27 of 68

My ex always accused me of being "artsy fartsy"... but I don't know that I have a lot of talent for the artistic things I enjoy doing (sculpting, writing poetry, etc.).

I have this personality conflict though - I am a perfectionist, but I am also extremely impatient. So I usually rush through things, and end up hating them because I didn't take my time and do it "right". Ugh. Sucks to be me. icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 8:13am
post #28 of 68

I've always loved to draw, color, sketch, paint ceramics, make jewelry for a short while, painting (water color, oil, indoor/houses especially textured), etc. I minored in art in high school and at this very moment I have my art final (oil painting) hanging above the mantle in my living room.

Hope you don't mind, but I'm still proud of that painting so here it is (it was after another painting, but was sketched out freehand before being painted. No, it's not a paint by number as I've been asked this before.)

P.S. I received a 99 on this. Lost a point under the shading category. Even I was surprised. I'm proud of it, but I didn't think it was that good. icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 8:16am
post #29 of 68
Originally Posted by jkeeler

I've always been artistic but I have to say I'm blown away by the sugar art creations here on Cake Central--I've just gotten back into cake decorating after being away for quite a while.

I make historical costumes to wear to events and competitions. Here's an Elizabethan headdress I made (hope its okay to put an attachment).

That's an absolutely gorgeous headpiece. Sometimes I think it's a shame that hats and headpieces are no longer worn regularly. How cool would it be to walk around wearing that declaring that you made it yourself?

CakeWhizz Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:39am
post #30 of 68

I had never considered myself artistic having started my career as a microbiologist. My sister is the artistic one in the family and she has an amazing eye, I am so jealous. However, apart from cake decorating, I do flower arranging, beading and some sewing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%