Lemon Cream Cheese Filling Like Olive Garden

Baking By Temptations Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 10:26pm by mcdonald

Temptations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Temptations Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 27

Hi-
I had the best piece of cake the other night at Olive Garden. It was called Lemon Cream Cake. However the waiter made a point to tell me that it's not that lemony and it was very good. I tried it and my whole family loved it. It was just a 9" round white cake (1 layer) that had been torted and filled with this divine cream cheese filling. It was a very thick layer and the filling itself was very dense. I found a recipe on this site for a lemon cream cheese filling, but it had whipped cream folded into it and I just think that will be too light and fluffy. This was thick and rich and to die for. It didn't have much of a lemon flavor at all. Does anyone have any ideas? It didn't have any lemon zest in it and it was white, not yellow. I hope that helps with any ideas. Thanks in advance. I'd love to take this to a party this Sunday if someone can help me.--T

26 replies
282513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
282513 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 27

HI, this was a recipe posted on the home page. I tried it and it was delicious. Look in the recipe section under Lemon Whipped Cream and Cream cheese filling. It was really good and the description says that it is like Olive Gardens. My family loved it. It requires 1 8oz stick of cream cheese, 2 cups powdered sugar, 3T fresh lemon juice and 1C heavy cream. HTH

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 27

I posted that recipe icon_smile.gif
It came from my Top Secret Recipes book and it is very good. Be sure to use fresh lemon juice and not the stuff in the bottle icon_smile.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7135-1-Lemon-Whipped-Cream-and-cream-cheese-filling.html

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 27

foxymomma521..How did you use it ? In a white cake ?

foxymomma521 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 27

I think it is vanilla cake mix, but it's been a while since I've made the cake. The recipe is on www.topsecretrecipes.com
You can buy it for like $.79 or if you can wait I'll post it in a few days icon_smile.gif (I have a cake due tomorrow and we are having a garage sale too so it'll probably be Sunday)

Temptations Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 27

Thanks for all of the quick responses. Couple of things about the recipe we're talking about. I went to top secret recipes and they didn't have that recipe listed anymore. Second, the recipe reads like it's a frosting. The cake at Olive Garden was not frosted it was only dusted with powdered sugar. You can see the cake if you go to www.olivegarden.com. It's called the Lemon Cream Cake. It actually describes it has having a "vanilla crumb topping", but when I was eating it it seemed like a torted white cake to me. Has anyone else had this cake?

foxymomma521 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 10:50pm
post #7 of 27

We are talking about the same recipe. I have the FULL recipe in my book, crumb topping and all, and will post it as soon as I can. It consists of a cake recipe, lemon cream filling, and vanilla crumb topping. I'm not sure why that doesn't seem right to you...

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 10:55pm
post #8 of 27

Did you check the Olive Garden website? They have a recipe section there. Maybe what you're looking for is listed.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 10:55pm
post #9 of 27

Top Secret Recipes are the best!

Temptations Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 10:57pm
post #10 of 27

Okay. Great! I'm so glad you have it and I will be waiting anxiously for the recipe. I guess I just wanted to be sure we were all on the same page. It sounds like we are. Good luck with the cake and garage sale.-T

Temptations Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:06pm
post #11 of 27

Yes, I checked the Olive Garden web site and it wasn't there. It was interested though as until today I did not know that they had recipes posted there.--T

foxymomma521 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:24pm
post #12 of 27

1 18.25 ounce Betty Crocker white cake mix
1 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup veg oil
3 egg whites
Lemon Cream filling:
Same as I have already posted- http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7135-1-Lemon-Whipped-Cream-and-cream-cheese-filling.html

Vanilla Crumb Topping:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup cold butter
1/2 t vanilla extract

Make cake following directions on box. pour batter into a greased 10" cake pan or springform pan, and bake at 350 for 40 to 45 min

Make lemon cream filling by mixing cream cheese and powdered sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Mix in lemon juice.

Whip cream in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until it forms stiff peaks. Fold cream cheese mixture with whipped cream. Stir gently by hand until blended.

Make crumb topping by combining flour and powdered sugar in medium bowl. Add butter and dribble in the vanilla extract. Use your hands to mix cold butter into flour and sugar. Break butter into smaller and smaller pieces as you incorporate it into the dry ingredients. Be sure not to press the mixture together. You want to end up with a very crumbly consistency with pieces no bigger than a pea. (If you are having trouble making small crumbs, pop the bowl into the fridge for a few minutes) Chill this crumb topping until you are ready to use it.
When cake is cool- torte and fill with all put 1/2 cup of lemon cream mixture. Carefully replace top of cake.
Spread the remaining 1/2 cup of cream filling over the top and sides of cake. Sprinkle the crumb topping on top of the cake and press it onto the sides all the way around the cake...
Now chill the cake for at least 3 hours before you serve it. Serve each slice topped with powdered sugar tapped through a strainer.

Sorry if there are any typo's... I typed as quickly as possible! Enjoy!!

fiddlesticks Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:25pm
post #13 of 27

Me to please post when your free !Thanks so much

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:32pm
post #14 of 27

You know I saw that cake there not long ago but didn't order it -- I'm very interested in a recipe! icon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:44pm
post #15 of 27

foxymomma521.. Thanks so much ! Is a pic in you photos ?

foxymomma521 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:48pm
post #16 of 27

No, I don't really take pics of my desserts, just the decorated cakes icon_sad.gif
You're welcome, glad I could help!

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:50pm
post #17 of 27

Top Secret Recipes -- which book? I have most of them...

foxymomma521 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:00am
post #18 of 27

number 2

foxymomma521 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:01am
post #19 of 27

number 2

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:15am
post #20 of 27

I had a bride ask me for this type filling in a wedding cake for 8/8/08.

I've never tried the cake, so I made the cream cheese filling from The Cake Book, and added lemon zest instead of orange zest, and she LOVED it and ordered that, so I wonder if it's close. It's very dense and cream cheese-y and very easy to make. Let me know if you want it.

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:18am
post #21 of 27

Yes Homecook, if you wouldn't mind sharing... icon_biggrin.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:24am
post #22 of 27

Ya talked me into it....(going to kitchen for cookbook).............................

Here it is:

Makes about 1-1/3 cups, multiply as needed

8 oz softened cream cheese
2 TB unsalted butter, softened
1/3 c. granulated sugar
1/8 ts salt
1/2 ts finely grated orange (or lemon) zest
1/2 ts vanilla extract

Using paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter at med-low until well blended and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the sugar and blend well. Add salt, zest and vanilla and blend. Cover and chill at least 15 minutes.

I can eat this right out of the bowl with a spoon... icon_wink.gif

sandeeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandeeb Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:29am
post #23 of 27

I make a lemon and cream cheese filling for cake I bake and it is truly delicious. I make the cream cheese like I do for icing for a carrot cake and then mix lemon pudding about half and half and stir well. this is so wonderful.

sandeeb

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:30am
post #24 of 27

mmmmmmmmm... I'm drooling on my keyboard.... mmmmmmmmm.... icon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:53am
post #25 of 27

Thanks for sharing all the yummmy recipes everyone !

Temptations Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:27am
post #26 of 27

Thanks foxxymamma for the recipe. It looks just wonderful! I didn't expect you to get it posted so quickly. I almost didn't check again tonight. I'm so glad that I did. I can't wait to make this recipe.

Thanks again for taking the time to post this recipe!--T

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 10:26pm
post #27 of 27

does anyone know if this cake would stand up for stacking??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%