Pregnant:how Can I Avoid Making Chocolate Cake?

Lounge By ashcake Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 4:38pm by ashcake

ashcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashcake Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 10

I'm about 8 weeks pregnant. And believe me it has been rough so far. Nothing like my first one. To start things off I fell a fractured my foot. So now I'm in a cast and on crutches. This hopping does not help my morning sickness (all day sickness). I was making a cake the other day, thankfully my SIL was there. I practically through the cake mix to her. If I didn't have a cast on I would have ran out the door. The smell of the chocolate cake mix just about made me throw up. When it come out of the oven it hit me again. I was fine to carve and decorated it after it was frozen. My questions is how do/did you all deal with the smell. I have tomake one this weekend.

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 10

I got that way from the smell of peanut butter with my first kid. But I mean we made gargantuan bowls full of it to mix with the jelly to make hundreds of sandwiches for box lunches for this school I used to wotk at.

So we either changed the menu or I was real scarce when we made the sammies. And my kidlette hated peanut butter! Isn't that funny.

Well ok not funny to you right now but...so sorry. Just avoid it as much as possible is all I can think of.

I mean there can be worse things than being 'allergic' to chocolate...I can't think of any but there's gotta be something. icon_lol.gif

(((hug)))

ashcake Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks k8memphis. I even opened a bag of M&M's at VBS and it made me sick to. I can stand to eat it as long as I don't smell it. icon_sad.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:35am
post #4 of 10

Do you think one of those extra protection allergy masks would help? Thats the only think I can think of to help eliminate the smell.

Hopefully this is one of the early stage symptoms and it will go away or get better as you go along.

I count myself very fortunate to have never had any morning sickness with any of my three pregnancies. A little dizziness with the second one. My problem was gaining too much weight, so not being able to stand chocolate would have been helpful for me, 'course I wasn't making cakes then either!

Good luck, hope you can find a way to feel better.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:46am
post #5 of 10

I was horribly sick with all of my kids. The doc can give you prenatals with extra vitamin B's to help. I actually found that my vitamins made it worse, so I just took Flinstones. I can tell you that at 3 months pregnant it gets MUCH better icon_smile.gif The sickness goes away, it just takes a bit. (which seems like forever)

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:56am
post #6 of 10

First may I suggest taking your prenatal vitamins at a different time, I threw up if I took my prenatal vitamins in the morning, but if I took them before bed, I was golden, so I am sure you can guess what I did my whole second pregnancy as well! As for sensitive smells, it usually gets better by the end of the 3rd month (luckily for me it was only meat cooking that got to me)....... I had a friend who had serious morning sickness and lost like 20 lbs, they ended up putting in some sort of pump and if she felt ill she pushed a button and she got anti-nausea meds.......but ideally you dont want to have to worry about a pump and having to change the lines like she did.

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 10

i was really sick with all 3 pregnancies -they each got a little better though. i only gained 11 lbs. with the first baby and i spent A LOT of time on the bathroom floor. so my doctor's answer each time (largely because i was losing so much weight) was phenergen. it works for the barfy feeling and smells weren't quite so bad with that stuff. it did sorta make me want to sleep a lot though.

if you really don't want to go the route of medicine, maybe you could try one of those masks that cover your nose and mouth (kinda like doctors wear).

i feel for you! good luck!

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:42am
post #8 of 10

This is going to sound funny and will look funny too if you try it but breathe through your mouth when you come across something that makes you sick from the smell. I have a supremely sensitive nose and during pregnancy the only way I could cook meat was to breathe through my mouth the entire time! It's also the only way I can change diapers without throwing up! icon_lol.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:02am
post #9 of 10

I felt like that about chocolate when I was pregnant with my second daughter. Chocolate cake, candy, ice cream, etc...and what's funny is she's about to turn 3 and I still can't stand chocolate. I can bake chocolate cakes though.

ashcake Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:38pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone! At least now I know I'm not alone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%