Pudding In A Boxed Cake Mix

Decorating By pinkbeesugar Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 1:45pm by CocoaBlondie

pinkbeesugar Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 10

Can anyone tell me the advantages to adding a box of pudding and an extra egg to a boxed cake mix.

Does it make any additional batter above the normal?

thanks in advance

9 replies
missmeg Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 10

It gives the cake a boost in flavor an moisture, and my personal belief is that it helps with a finer crumb.

I don't always add a box of pudding, but typically I do.

Tweedie Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 10

I believe, as stated above, that the pudding makes a more moist cake and also gives it a little more depth in the flavor department. If you add an extra egg along with adding the pudding it makes a denser cake as well. I don't think it yields any more batter than if you left it out because it is such a small addition.

pinkbeesugar Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 10

thank you both. I will try it tonight with some cupcakes.

kimmypooh79 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 10

Along with the extra egg and pudding I also add 1/2 cup of sour cream. I get loads of compliments on that mixture.

malishka Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 10

I believe the pudding makes a denser cake. If you are going to stack one tier on top of another, the cake can handle the weight. All the cakes I do are with the added pudding mix.
I have done a cake without it and by the end of the party the bottom tier was sagging. A friend of mine gave me the pudding tip and I never had to worry about my cakes drooping again.

tracey1970 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:33am
post #7 of 10

Any difference or advice for a Betty Crocker mix that already has pudding in it? Does the same recipe apply? Thanks!

kimmypooh79 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 6:26am
post #8 of 10

Don't add more pudding to the mixes that already has it in there.....I hear that would be bad.

sgauta Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:34pm
post #9 of 10

Ditto on what everyone else has said! I usually always add pudding mix (and sour cream) and the cakes are so flavorful and moist. They also hold up well when stacked.

CocoaBlondie Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:45pm
post #10 of 10
Originally Posted by kimmypooh79

Along with the extra egg and pudding I also add 1/2 cup of sour cream. I get loads of compliments on that mixture.

Did you ever add this mixture to a scratch cake recipe?

Quote by @%username% on %date%