Pudding In A Boxed Cake Mix

Decorating By pinkbeesugar Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 1:45pm by CocoaBlondie

pinkbeesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbeesugar Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 10

Can anyone tell me the advantages to adding a box of pudding and an extra egg to a boxed cake mix.

Does it make any additional batter above the normal?

thanks in advance

9 replies
missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 10

It gives the cake a boost in flavor an moisture, and my personal belief is that it helps with a finer crumb.

I don't always add a box of pudding, but typically I do.

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 10

I believe, as stated above, that the pudding makes a more moist cake and also gives it a little more depth in the flavor department. If you add an extra egg along with adding the pudding it makes a denser cake as well. I don't think it yields any more batter than if you left it out because it is such a small addition.

pinkbeesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbeesugar Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 10

thank you both. I will try it tonight with some cupcakes.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 10

Along with the extra egg and pudding I also add 1/2 cup of sour cream. I get loads of compliments on that mixture.

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 10

I believe the pudding makes a denser cake. If you are going to stack one tier on top of another, the cake can handle the weight. All the cakes I do are with the added pudding mix.
I have done a cake without it and by the end of the party the bottom tier was sagging. A friend of mine gave me the pudding tip and I never had to worry about my cakes drooping again.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:33am
post #7 of 10

Any difference or advice for a Betty Crocker mix that already has pudding in it? Does the same recipe apply? Thanks!

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 6:26am
post #8 of 10

Don't add more pudding to the mixes that already has it in there.....I hear that would be bad.

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:34pm
post #9 of 10

Ditto on what everyone else has said! I usually always add pudding mix (and sour cream) and the cakes are so flavorful and moist. They also hold up well when stacked.

Sarah

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:45pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmypooh79

Along with the extra egg and pudding I also add 1/2 cup of sour cream. I get loads of compliments on that mixture.

Did you ever add this mixture to a scratch cake recipe?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%