Can Someone Help Me With Basics?

Decorating By bsanders12 Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 2:09am by bsanders12

bsanders12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsanders12 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a cake next weekend, I want to be prepared. I am making MMF and carving the cake to look like a body. Is there good tips I should know about storage, freezing the cake, icing the cake, the fondant? Anything would be helpful. Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
cerobs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cerobs Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 6

I always make my cake a couple days ahead of time and freeze it and I will make my mmf maybe that day.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 6

Make sure you crumb coat well, especially the carved out areas. Make your buttercream as smooth as you can before applying the mmf. I do not freeze before carving, but my cake is very well chilled. Once the MMF is in place, I do not put the cake back in the refrigerator. I know some who do, and have no problems. I tried it once and the finish on the cake was destroyed.

cerobs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cerobs Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 6

I always make my cake a couple days ahead of time and freeze it and I will make my mmf maybe that day.

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 6

I recently just tried mmf. Alot of the tips that were given to me were to let the MMF sit overnight. Use cornstarch instead of PS when working with it. Really went pretty well. Good luck on your project!!!

bsanders12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsanders12 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 2:09am
post #6 of 6

Thank you everyone! you have been a big help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%