? About Freezing And Thawing

Decorating By jadak Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 1:31am by tchrmom

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 9

I had extra batter today so I baked a 6 in. to use next week. Here are my questions:

1. Do I cool it completely before wrapping it for the freezer?

2. What's the best way to wrap it for the freezer to avoid odor absorption and freezer burn?

3. How long do I thaw it before icing it next week? Should it be room temp. when I ice it?

I have never frozen a cake before! icon_eek.gif Scary, huh? I know there's a right way to do it though. TIA for your expertise. icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 9

Unless you have a really crummy freezer, a coupld of wraps of plastic wrap will be more than sufficient for a week in the freezer.

It will need to thaw about an hour at room temp, for such a small cake.

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks!

bsan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsan Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 9

I always freeze my cakes. I bake them 1 week in advance. Cool completely, wrap in saran wrap or press-n-seal, then freeze. I take out my cake the morning I want to fill and seal it. I let it thaw at room temp, tort, fill, and crumb coat. Next day I frost and decorate.
Freezing it helps seal in the crumbs and makes it SUPER easy to ice.

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 9

Do you let the cakes thaw wrapped or unwrapped?

Vonda

buttercream_dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercream_dreams Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 9

i actually have a question about freezing "cakes" as well.
I say "cakes" cuz i actually mean batter.

do any bakers in a larger work environmnet with ample freezer space every make their mixes/batters in advance and freeze them?

when i worked in a bakery, the froze their muffin batters all of the time, we didnt bake our cakes fresh in store, they were always (obviously) brought in, but had we been baking them i'm sure we would prepare large quantities of batter, premeasure/prepare it and freeze it until we needed it.

but am i assuming too much? are muffins and cakes not at all the same as far as structure and baking?

has anyone ever froze batter to "save" time? (i dont think it would be very time saving or beneficial unless you were making hundreds of cakes a week)

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 9

vonda let the cake thaw in the wrap

amyfj1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyfj1 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:53am
post #8 of 9

I freeze all of my cakes. I wrap them in 2 layers of plastic wrap and 2 layers of aluminum foil while they are still warm. I have frozen them up to 3 months, take out of the freezer the morning I will be decorating them and they are as fresh and moist as the day I baked them. I think that wrapping and freezing them while warm traps the moisture in the cake. People always ask me how I get my cakes so moist.

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:31am
post #9 of 9

It's easier to handle them when they are still slightly frozen-- or at least cold-- much less of a crumb problem. I do a tight layer of plastic wrap and then foil. It has worked well for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%