What Kind Of Frosting Do I Use...help!!!

Decorating By kimmypooh79 Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 7:02pm by KikiG79

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 11

I need to make a German chocolate or black forest cake and they want it decorated but I have no idea what kind of frosting to use. Obviously it needs to crust so I don't know what to use. These ppl are from Germany so I don't want to ruin the cake by putting the wrong frosting on it. HELP!!!

10 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 11

german chocolate cake usually has a coconut/pecan cooked icing. Black Forest has cherries inside, sometimes on top, but the icing is generally chocolate.

kimmypooh79 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

german chocolate cake usually has a coconut/pecan cooked icing. Black Forest has cherries inside, sometimes on top, but the icing is generally chocolate.

So do you think I could just fill it with the traditional stuff and ice it with Choc BC? That way it crusts so I can decorate it.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 11

I suppose. It depends on what you promised to do.

kimmypooh79 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 11

Well, it's up to me. They're German so they are big drinkers....no seriously they are I know them. Anyway, I was thinking of molding some rice krispy treats into their favorite German beer. That's all I've come up with so far.

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 11

Just FYI, but German Chocolate Cake is actually not a German recipe. It's named after an American man whose last name was "German". I'm sure they'd love either cake, but don't worry about making sure it's "authentic" German chocolate cake just because they're from Germany.

kimmypooh79 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 11

lol....thanks knowing that does make a difference....it was a request from them b/c it's their favorite. I guess it was just a coincidence that the Germans favorite cake happens to be German choc...that's pretty funny.

kimmypooh79 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 5:47pm
post #8 of 11

I just looked up German CC and it says that the cake is layered and filled with the coconut stuff, topped with it, then frosted and bordered with choc icing. I think I'll just do that and leave off the topping. Thanks everyone.

Laura102777 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:00pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmypooh79

I just looked up German CC and it says that the cake is layered and filled with the coconut stuff, topped with it, then frosted and bordered with choc icing. I think I'll just do that and leave off the topping. Thanks everyone.

Sounds good! I love the stuff. Haven't made it in a long time, though. May have to make one soon! icon_smile.gif

Laura102777 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:00pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmypooh79

Sounds good! I love the stuff. Haven't made it in a long time, though. May have to make one soon! icon_smile.gif

KikiG79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KikiG79 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 7:02pm
post #11 of 11

Hi Kimmy!

I don't know if you still need help with the black forest cake....
If so please let me know. I'm from Germany and could send you a translated recipe.
Generally it is filled with cherries and cherry jelly and covered with whipped cream.

Just let me know and I would be glad to give you more information.

Have a nice day!

Kiki

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%