Questions About Piping Gel

Decorating By MyraNC Updated 22 Mar 2016 , 10:30am by stephensmommy14

MyraNC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyraNC Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 22

I have 2 cakes due in the next couple of week and both require "water". One is a beach cake and the other is a fishing cake. In looking through the galleries, I have seen several cakes with tinted piping gel as the water. My questions are...Does the piping gel have any taste? Do I put it on top of my icing and if so, is it going to affect the flavor?? And...ask crazy as it may sound...How about the texture in your mouth when eating it?? lol

21 replies
jenbashore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbashore Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 22

That's funny because I have the same thing going on for next week. I have never used piping gel except in my Wilton classes. Wonering the same thing you are... icon_smile.gif

Reedsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reedsmomma Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 22

I've never used piping gel before, but I had read in another post that someone had flavored their piping gel "water" watermelon for a kids party and it went over really well. Hope this helps...

jwong9664 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwong9664 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 22

it just has a sweet, sugary flavor and a super sticky consistency. i use it as water all the time. hths!

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 22

Hi! I did a Mother's Day cake with piping gel flowers a few years ago. (It's not in my photos, though I should scan it in!) You put it right on top of buttercream. I would refrigerate the iced cake so the buttercream sets before applying the piping gel. About flavor, since it is a corn syrup based product, it does have a sugar taste (although I find it to be kind of "bland"). I never heard of anyone altering the taste of it by adding anything to it, though. When the cake was served, I did not find that it altered the taste of the buttercream when eaten. The texture is slightly "gooey" (for lack of a better word), but not unpleasant at all. ... But then again, that's just me. icon_smile.gif

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 22

Yummmm... Reedsmomma... I wonder what was used to flavor it? I'd like to try it sometime! Maybe someone will post it here... icon_razz.gif

Reedsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reedsmomma Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 22

I wish I could remember what they used! I was absorbed with looking for another topic, so I wasn't paying much attention...Sorry!

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedsmomma

I wish I could remember what they used! I was absorbed with looking for another topic, so I wasn't paying much attention...Sorry!

I think it was LorAnn (spelling???) Oil flavoring. I've never flavored it myself. It basically has the same taste and a little thicker texture than corn syrup. You don't need much to get the effect, so it shouldn't really have a texture issue when eating it. The only thing I will tell you is work slow when coloring it blue .... when you whip coloring into piping gel, you're going to add a lot of air bubbles that you don't want. Stir coloring in good and slow. If you're using the gel for cakes at kids parties, I've found the kids all want a piece with the water on it and the parents seem to want it without (but will dab their finger in gel that might get on the cake board while cutting just to taste it out of curiosity).

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 22

When I make "water", I don't color the piping gel. You can buy it pre-coloured (by Wilton, I think) in a nice water-colored blue. That's what I use. It's sweet but no one has complained about such a small amount. I haven't ever flavoured it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:42pm
post #10 of 22

I don't like the taste of piping gel by itself so I add colored BC to it. If you look at the blue water on the retirement cake in photos you can see how it looks.

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:53pm
post #11 of 22

I also cover my buttercream with icing gel. I did a "Crown Royal" bottle cake and covered the buttercream bottle with piping gel to give it that "glass" look. It looks great as water as well.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 5:01pm
post #12 of 22

I did a tropical sunset cake a while back with tinted piping gel for water. Piping gel has a naturally sweet taste to it and you only need a drop (literally) of food color (a little goes a very long way) to color the gel. The color doesn't affect the taste of the gel and the gel doesn't affect the taste of the cake. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 5:12pm
post #13 of 22

Kids usually love the stuff (as has been mentioned here already). Many bakeries use piping gel for their writing and I remember for years, my cousins and I, and our friends always wanting the writing and/or flowers on the cake pieces we received at any party where the cake was purchased from the bakery.

Oh, btw, my current avatar (also my 2008 Easter cake) was painted using piping gel that I colored. It's actually a pretty cool medium to work with, although annoyingly sticky at times (I hate getting anything sticky on my hands and have had more than one person tease me because I tend to rinse my hands between cracking each egg in any recipe where they're required!).

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:35am
post #14 of 22

I always use it wit great success. You really don't put it on thick enough for anyone to complain and it is over the icing so you should not worry. After all, you're not going to cover the entire surface with it so it will be fine. You can see a couple of examples in my pics.

Go ahead, use it and have fun!! icon_razz.gificon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:43am
post #15 of 22

I used it in my mom's swimming pool cake. Nobody said anything negative about the taste. In fact, my sister in law stuck a spoon in the pool after the cake had been cut because she wanted a mouthful of it. With the cake, icing and or fondant... there's plenty of flavor going on that you don't really need to flavor it. And a little goes a long way. You don't need much color at all to get a nice blue.

I think mine varied between 1/8" to 1/4" deep because I wanted the water wavy.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 5:11am
post #16 of 22

You really don't even need 1/4 inch thick. Just enough to cover, to make it "wet."

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:06pm
post #17 of 22

Oh and if your cake is any other color than white, put a smear of white buttercream under the piping gel for it to shine forth -- otherwise you won't be able to see the "water" effect.

stephensmommy14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephensmommy14 Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 1:49am
post #18 of 22

Hi i am new to making cakes and i just got an order my question is can i use colored piping gel for the bunny and icing for the eggs

[postimage id="3269" thumb="900"]

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 3:45am
post #19 of 22

Yes you can.  Just remember the gel is going to be 'see-thru' and shiny.  The icing won't.  

stephensmommy14 Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 3:49am
post #20 of 22

How do I fix thatt

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 4:37am
post #21 of 22

Not sure what you mean re: 'fix that'.   Piping gel is 'jelly' so it will always remain transparent.    If you don't want that use all icing to make your design.  

stephensmommy14 Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 10:30am
post #22 of 22

OK thank you 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%