Help!!! What Am I Doing Wrong With The Nick Lodge Gumpaste?

Decorating By Pama2d Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 7:10pm by Cakechick123

Pama2d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pama2d Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 5

I recently made the Nicholas Lodge gumpaste recipe for the first time. I made it exactly as the recipe stated, wrapped it and let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours. When I tried to use it, it was still a bit sticky. I kneaded in a bit more powder sugar and coated my hands with crisco... but now it seems like it's too dry. What am I doing wrong??? I made hula girls last night and they look like they are 90 years old... all cracked and wrinkly. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or how to fix it, please help!!! Thanks!!

4 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 5

I find that using the whole bag of PS is way too much for that recipe. Makes the GP way too hard.

I dont meaure but I prob use only 2/3 the bag.

HTH

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:34am
post #3 of 5

He tells you to take out a cup of sugar and just work in what you need so that it will not be to stiff. If you continue to have problems email him and he will help you out

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 5

I never have to add in that cup of PS that he says to reserve. Nick's gumpaste dries superfast so if you need extra work time (like for figurines), mix it half-and-half with fondant. I prefer Wilton fondant mixed with Nick's GP in equal amounts.

I made a creepy grim reaper skull just this morning with that combo and didn't get any elephant skin.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 5

his GP is great for flowers, but for modelling it dreis way too fast. Like Cakepro says mix it 50-50 with fondant. Also if it os very dry take a piece and dip half of it in water and work the wet part in with the ser of the icing. This gives it a lovely texture for flowers.
HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%